Can I do a clean install and save data??

neutronxx 13:52 14 Jan 03
  neutronxx 13:52 14 Jan 03

After a couple of bad experiences losing data i decided to physically install a second drive and use it for MS office/data/programs/games/mp3's etc. On my C:drive i run only windows and other operating programs that are easily recoverable/reinstallable. i do this on the basis that (apart from performance and maintainance issues) i can now reformat C: and reinstall windows and keep the contents of the other drive.

Will the contents of this second drive be usable? will windows update the registry of the drives contents? e.g., MS office or a game can still be used after the clean installation of the OS.

Lú-tzé 14:02 14 Jan 03

Any of your user data on the second hdd will (should) be ok.

But programs installed there will need to be reinstalled again - with some it may be possible to install over a current installation.

I have never seen the advantage of installing a program onto a different partition than that of the OS. Keeping data, my documents, downloads and so on is a different matter though. They are best on another partition and then onto cd-r in their time.

leo49 14:03 14 Jan 03

"Will the contents of this second drive be usable?"

Any program that makes registry entries will have to be reinstalled.

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…