Can I disable Found new hardware

Switcher 14:50 26 Aug 06

WIN XP PRO SP2

Each time I boot my PC i get a found new hardware wizard which shows some thing with squares zeros and symbols. It cannot determine what it is and lists it under "others" with a yellow mark. Even if I diasable it it still comes back the next time I boot. I wood like to either get shot of this permanently r disable found new hardware ubtil I actually need it. If possible

VoG II 14:57 26 Aug 06

Try this:

Start, Run, type

services.msc

and click OK. Scroll down to Plug and Play and change the startup type to Manual.

ade.h 16:47 26 Aug 06

There are half a dozen services that depend on Plug 'n' Play.

Switcher 18:13 26 Aug 06

VOG :- I tried as you suggested and it did work but as ADE.H suggested I lost other services such as my network and remote access plus audio. Had to revert.

This problem only occurred after I tried a disc encryptian program which eventual locked me out I overcame that but think that this is a residual from that . Any Ideas.

ade.h 18:23 26 Aug 06

Does it improve things if you go through the motions of installing it, then choosing the option "do not try to install this device again" (I can't remember the exact phrasing) that appears at the end of the wizard?

I'm surprised that disabling the device doesn't work. I have done that with my laptop's modem as its driver runs actively and causes a conflict. I don't need it, so it is kept disabled in a not-installed state with the yellow question mark next to it.

You might be able to do something by creating a new hardware profile in which the problem device is excluded and setting that as your default profile, then deleting the original to avoid being asked to choose between them each time you switch it on.

Switcher 16:13 26 Jul 07

Solved by ADE.H suggestion - Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…