Can I delete and reinstall IE in W98SE?

Diemmess 08:53 17 Sep 04

Is it reality to uninstall IE and Outlook Express from Windows 98SE and then re-install from the original CD?

This action is a desparate hope to be rid of all traces of messed up connection to BT Pay as You Go.

If I can do this for grumpy son then he should be able to install the BT connection for himself on his home ground.

Diodorus Siculus 08:57 17 Sep 04

It can be removed totally - click here

click here

Not a great idea though...

Stuartli 09:07 17 Sep 04

It would seem to be easier to delete the BT connection from Control Panel and then reconfigure/delete any references in Internet Explorer via Tools>Internet Options>Connections.

IE is an integral part of the Windows and, although it could be uninstalled it's not advised; it's much better to install the latest version from click here

Diodorus Siculus 09:13 17 Sep 04
  Diemmess 09:13 17 Sep 04

Could be just what I need... but will installing IE 6 downloaded from the M$ support site, put me back with a new version of IE and Outlook?

I can't see how I could re-install the generic version from the original 98 disk even though that would be the way of choice .

Diemmess 09:28 17 Sep 04

Thank you both for help and "hoss-sense". I must leave this key board for now and do something useful!

Can't access the errant computer today becuse that house has a scheduled disconnection of power supplies!!

Diemmess 09:32 17 Sep 04

Will close this thread which overlaps with
click here
Thanks for input.

Diemmess 09:35 17 Sep 04

Typical carelessness, I've closed the WRONG thread!

Diodorus Siculus 10:25 17 Sep 04

If you want a CD with IE5, mail me and I will send you one, or if you like, you can download from

click here

Diodorus Siculus 10:29 17 Sep 04

Sorry, sees that oldversion.com does not have IE5.

Diodorus Siculus 10:36 17 Sep 04

Sorry, sees that oldversion.com does not have IE5.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…