Can I delete the $NtUninstall$ files?

Klappers 19:57 12 Dec 05

Hello,
I was just wondering if anyone knew whether or not it's o.k to delete all these uninstall folders that are located in C:\Windows. I know i should keep the $NtServicePackUninstall$ folder but what about all the ones named $NtUninstallxxx$ ? Can i just delete all of them or do i need to keep them? Thanks for your help.

ade.h 20:04 12 Dec 05

Yes.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:27 12 Dec 05

These are all the uninstall points created when installing MS hofixes and updates, if everything is working ok then safe to get rid.

ade.h 21:03 12 Dec 05

They'll still be listed in Add/Remove Progs if "show updates" is ticked, but you can reomove them from that list by trying to uninstall each one (except for those that have no uninstall option obviously).

Sethhaniel 10:26 13 Dec 05

it is safe to delete the folders $NtUninstallxxx$ from the windows folder after a couple of days if your machine is OK with the update;)

ade.h 18:55 13 Dec 05

"add/remove will remove the actual update"

Well, obviously you'll have to delete the uninstall folders first!

Otherwise it *will* remove the update, yes.

Attempting to uninstall them is the accepted method of removing those entries that are no longer needed, and they are no longer needed once the corresponding uninstall folder has been deleted.

ozat 11:36 14 Jan 06

should I uninstall using the "add/remove programs" utility first? Then delete the folders if they still exist?
Or just delete the folders from c:\windows?
If I unistall using the "add/remove programs", does it uninstall the update completetly?

cheers

O

SG Atlantis® 12:15 14 Jan 06

there's an article in the mad decribing this.

Monument 12:24 14 Jan 06

I too am very confused. By removing via add/remove do I remove the updates? If I just delete the 0.5GB of $NtUninstallxxx$ files in Windows am I also removing the updates. Which of course I do not want to do or do I.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:45 14 Jan 06

I delete them through the C drive. Not much point in keeping them .

G

ozat 13:32 14 Jan 06

Monument, thats what I was trying to say but couldnt get it right!!
So its ok to delete them through explorer then Gandalf?

Cheers,

O

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…