//some 3rd party need geo

can I delete this folder? in the temporary

lixdexik 12:39 12 Oct 03

internet folder?

In the above folder there is a sub folder called "Content.IE5" which in it's self has 34 sub folders, each full of files of differing types. none of these folders or files have the TEMP extention, but as they are all a sub folder of the "Temporary internet" folder would it be safe to delete this "Content.IE5" folder with all it's subs. This folder seems to use a lot of HDD space.

OS win98 original not se.

Thanks in advance...Lixdexik.

Jester2K II 12:46 12 Oct 03

Clear it the proper way.

Open IE, Tool menu, Internet Option, Delete Files

Then go in to settings and reduce the amount of space used to about 30 MB.

lixdexik 12:58 12 Oct 03

I have done what you suggest and the Content.IE5 folder still exists with all it's sub folders and files.

Lixdexik.

AubreyS 12:59 12 Oct 03

Its a system folder, you can't delete it only the contents of it.

AubreyS 13:01 12 Oct 03

You can open each folder in turn and delete the contem=nts, but as Jester2K II say's you should be able to do it the way he said.

FRANKMAC 13:03 12 Oct 03

I tried deleting these files/folders the other day as described by Jester2k, and like you they still remained, so i deleleted all the sub folders and files within the Content.ie5 folder, i did keep this folder, i've had no problems whatsover. However i run win xp , not sure if that makes any differenece.

lixdexik 13:27 12 Oct 03

looking in windows explorer I find... C:\windows\TEMP\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 and only four sub folders. Yet when I look in

C:\Windows\Tempory Internet Files\Content.IE5 there is a list of 34 sub folders...It seems that Tempory Internet Files\Content.IE5 exists in two locations.

A thought has just run through my mind (a rare occurance indeed)..as I updated sometime ago to IE6.. would these IE5 folders and files have been moved out of the way by the update process and therfore not be used any more?? so as AubreyS says I could just delete the contents of the IE5 folder and leave the IE5 folder where it is with nothing in it. Which is what FRANKMAC has done without any problem.. What do you recon?

Lixdexik

pj123 15:06 12 Oct 03

You can't delete the parent folder but you can delete all the sub folders, however there is a file call index.dat which can only be deleted from DOS, but it will only delete down to a minimum of 32kb. Every time you access the internet the index.dat grows bigger. I have written a batch file which will delete everything in your Cookies folder and reset the index.dat file back to its minimum (16bk) and everything in the Temp folder and also the Temporary Internet Files\content.ie5 folder and reset the index.dat file back to its minimum (32kb) Unfortunately, I do not know whether it works with XP because I don't have XP and I understand that XP does not have DOS. But it does work with Win 98SE and Win ME. If you want a copy let me know and I will email it to you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…