Can I copy WinME updates to cd? Help please

bof:) 13:35 29 Apr 07

Hi all, my neighbour is using winME but has not got a cd burner. His copy of WinME is saved in a partition on his HD so I'd like to get a copy of the updates for him and save it to disk for him.

I've followed another post here and gone to the website suggested by Jack Hacket but the message I get is as follows:

" Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.

To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet Explorer Downloads website.

If you prefer to use a different web browser, you can obtain updates from the Microsoft Download Center or you can stay up to date with the latest critical and security updates by using Automatic Updates. To turn on Automatic Updates:

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Depending on which Control Panel view you use, Classic or Category, do one of the following:
Click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
Click Performance and Maintenance, click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
Click the option that you want. Make sure Automatic Updates is not turned off."

I'm using XP home SP2, IE7 and want to download winME updates to a folder on my PC and then copy them to disk for him.

Many thanks, Mike

Jack Hackett 14:02 29 Apr 07

You can download the updates from that site from any PC to install on any PC, you dont have to go there from the PC you want to install the updates on.
Access the site from any PC with IE6, select the updates you want to go in your download basket, download them and burn to cd.

You could simply make the 1st update you install on the ME pc be IE6, get it from click here
Do this from the ME pc with an active internet connection.

I assume it was the Windows Update Catalog page
click here

The Windows Update Catalog is a portion of the Windows Update web site where administrators can go to search for and download updates for Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. These updates can include service packs, security updates, critical updates, rollups or cumulative updates, multi-language features, and recommended updates that can be helpful but are usually non-essential. In addition, administrators can use the Windows Update Catalog to download updated device drivers that comply with the specifications of the Designed for Windows Logo Program. Once you download updates from the Catalog, administrators can then deploy these to computers that need them using their preferred deployment method i.e. manual deployment, Software Update Services (SUS), Systems Management Server (SMS), or any third-party software distribution platform.

Jack Hackett 14:05 29 Apr 07

Something else you could do for your neighbour is, once the ME OS is fully patched and all software has been installed and its running smoothly etc etc, is to offer to make a back up image of the system and make a recovery DVD for them.
I have just done this for the inlaws on a win2000 system using norton ghost 2003

Jack Hackett 14:12 29 Apr 07
  bof:) 20:29 29 Apr 07

Hi Jack Hacket, I've managed to get as far as put files into your basket and browse for basket pathway.

I then click ok, and get a box showing agreement which I click on accepy. After that nothing happens.

I'll try downloading from my neighbours winME pc direct.

Thankyou for you help,

Mike

SANTOS7 20:40 29 Apr 07

click here

Not sure which updates you are talking about as they stopped July 11, 2006....

bof:) 00:03 30 Apr 07

Hi SANTOS7,having seen another posting which Jack Hackett helped in I tried to use the website he supplied.

The reason I'm after winME updates is to help a neighbour who uses winME but its kept on a partition of his HD. He does not have the original program. (PC was bought from a omputer fair).

So, I thought I'd get him a cd disk with all of the updates on it. I cannot do it directly from his PC because he does not have a cd burner on his pc.

Mike

bof:) 13:13 30 Apr 07

Hi all, now on neighbours pc with winME on it. I go through picking and adding to basket downloads I want (mainly all of them except other language ones),Browse to a folder we have made to install them to, accept the agreement and click Download....then nothing happens.

Any idea whats I'm doing wrong?

Mike

Jack Hackett 13:29 30 Apr 07

I dont know what the problem is, out of curiosity, are you using Internet Explorer? as some MS sites are a bit funny about other browsers

bof:) 20:50 30 Apr 07

I used the neighbours IE version 6.

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…