can i copy any sort of movies????

wanda 09:06 07 Mar 03

i have recently bought a new f.siemens computer and it has a dvd +rw and i carnt copy any dvds 1:1 onto blank dvd+rw, ive being told i can watch my tv through my computer? if so can i watch sky? if i can, can i not some way copy the films off sky onto my blank dvds? all i want to do is copy movies. is there not also some sort of website i can get films to download from?( ive being told were my tv out port is there is a port that wont fit my tv arial, so what do use to watch my tv throgh my computer?) please help!!!

MartinT-B 09:52 07 Mar 03

PHEW!

1) you need DVD software to watch DVDs

2) Copying DVDs from the internet is currently illegal UNLESS you download it from the Maker/distributer, and none of them do that - YET.

3) You need a TV card to watch TV through your PC. Hauppage(spelling?) make one, so do other companies.

4) You can't Watch Sky at the moment. Only Freeview through an ariel - You need a dish for Sky and a decoder box.

5) You still need a TV license to watch TV through a PC

6) Copying anything at all for any reason apart from personal use is technically illegal.

wanda 09:59 07 Mar 03

thanks martinT-B, thats answered some of what im trying to find out!!

hoverman 10:05 07 Mar 03

A similar thread was posted yesterday: click here

wanda 10:22 07 Mar 03

thanks! but im not only just after copying my dvds, i want to copy any sort of films.(im a film boff) i have sky, and if i get a tv card can i then copy films off sky throgh my computer onto blank dvd disks? also if there is any websites around that you can download movies from. coz so far ive bought this computer with a dvd +rw and i carnt seem to copy any sort of films from them. coz its either illegal or there is some other problem!!(like copy write protction) i dont want to buying dvds from the shop if theres a way of getting the movie myself! legaly of corse!!

hoverman 10:38 07 Mar 03

Perhaps someone will enlighten us, but will a whole movie from a TV broadcast be too big to fit on to a blank disc?. A commercial DVD obviously is, as one reply to yesterday's thread stated.

MartinT-B 11:17 07 Mar 03

Not necessarily - you can save it to your HDD and copy it to a removable disk.

It's my understanding that a 30 min TV program - such as Dr. Who for instance - can be copied from an old decaying VHS video to a standard 700MB CR-R using VCD technology. Okay, so it's not the best quality, but it's a way of preserving all those old programs you recorded and never got round to watching :)

I saw an article on this regarding Dazzle software in one of my PC mags. I keep a copy and when I get home(am currently at work) I can fish it out to check.

Also, I THINK I've read that the newer software packages have the ability to chop up a program and spread it over several disks, and you can edit where the change happens. Rather like the Special Edition LotR which is on 2 DVDs.

You need a large HDD, a good processor and a lot of RAM to record from TV in real time, but it is Do-able. Once you have the copy, you can edit.

Finally, copying from Freeview onto your HDD is no different from copying onto VHS.

MartinT-B 11:23 07 Mar 03

to copy from sky, you need to take the out-put from your decoder and put it through your PC.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a card that takes Scart (or equivalent) input at the moment, so you may lose some of the quality/quantity. - You may end up with Films with Stereo sound rather than 5.1

Maybe someone else out there knows of a TV or Graphics card that can take that input - or maybe there's a workaorund using your sound card input AND TV input at the same time.

You'd then need to put it back together again to make your copy onto disk.

As stated above. There is no leagal reason why you can't copy from Sky movies too.

Djohn 11:37 07 Mar 03

Yes, I believe you are allowed to copy a movie for your own private use, to watch at a later date or to save to your own private collection.

This is in fact how the newish Sky+ system works, it records a movie or any other program to a Hard drive within the receiver.

This opinion in no way implies that you may download any copyright material from the internet!

If you have a legal copy of a movie on the hard drive of your PC, then it can be transfered to CD, (Possibly 2 disk will be required). Or to DVD.

The way that technology is moving, I would be surprised, if Video tape recorders are in use in another 10 years, and all recording will be via DVD or similar method.

Because of this there are a lot of VHS tapes that will need to be copied over to DVD/CD, or be lost forever.

The manufactures, and retailers of CD/DVD recording equipment are advising on the correct and sensible use of this equipment, and it is up to us, (The consumer), not to abuse the technology we are being given access to. J.

MartinT-B 11:45 07 Mar 03

In addition, storing a lot of Videos together sets up a MILD magnetic field (due to all that magnetic tape) and over time will cause the Videos to degrade. Takes about 20 years for them to be un-playable. After 10-15 years they are pretty low quality, but can be cleaned up with the right editing softeware

Cordy13 12:00 07 Mar 03

You need approx. 1.8GB for each HOUR of recording from Freeview. A large drive comes in handy!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…