Can I connect two computers to Broadband?

crumbleeze 19:29 13 Oct 05

My husband and myself each have a computer and each one is connected into a separate box into the telephone line. We NEVER use the computers on line at the same time. We are thinking of going onto Broadband but don't know if it is possible to have two computers running on the one system. Can anyone help with this one?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:35 13 Oct 05

Several different ways to do it have a read at
click here

and post back any questions

Monoux 19:42 13 Oct 05

Try click here for some more info

I got this by going to the helproon forum on this site and typing Broadband in the search box. There are probably more in there for you to browse and hopefully find answers to your question

wee eddie 00:19 14 Oct 05

Are the computers fairly close together?

2nd Question.

Who is your current Internet supplier, who maybe your preferred Broadband supplier?

If you stay with the same people you may be able to keep your e-mail address. I know that you can save a couple of quid a month by choosing this one or that, but keeping the address that all your muckers know makes life an awful lot easier!

wee eddie 19:31 14 Oct 05

This is so that others, who may be following with a personal interest, may read the possible solutions.

Your mail to me said:

"Thanks for your reply. The answer to question one is: the computers are in the same room about six feet apart. We just want to know if there is some cable or anything that we could plug in to the broadband that would enable us to both get access to on-line through the two computers. We do not want to be on line with our computers at the same time."

The answer to that one depends on the type of Router you have had supplied by your ISP.

I am with BT. They supplied me with a Voyager 205. This has both USB and Ethernet connections, which is usual for Broadband Routers.

If you install Broadband, unless you buy a single user type, it is quite easy to connect 2 PCs and the installation Disk will talk you through the set-up of both.

p.s. With Broadband, there is no reason why you should not both be on line at the same time with little noticeable diminution of speed. Of course there is a diminution but for most of us this is not critical.

Good luck and don't hesitate to continue the questions, it can become addictive!

crumbleeze 22:28 14 Oct 05

Thanks for the above replies. We are trying to read through them but, as we are complete beginners, it may take some time. I will let you know what we come up with. Thanks again.

007al 22:50 14 Oct 05

i use a d-link router...its so easy...put in the disc,and it near enough does everything for you.i would think most routers are the same..theyre pretty fool proof

wee eddie 23:18 14 Oct 05

Your handle suggests that you think you're getting on a bit!

Like Bridge, Curling (my sport) or Bowls, age is neither an impediment nor a barrier here.

We have early teens, you can recognize them (no punctuation or grammar) to eighty-year olds, you can recognize them as well, long rambling tales of the early days.

We were all beginners, and some like me will never be experts and tend to terror when we meet a problem for the first time, but there's loads of willing advice. Frequently contradictory but given in the best of good faith.

My philosophy is that I try the simplest solution first

Forum Editor 23:27 14 Oct 05

would be for you to buy an ADSL modem/router that would enable both machines to access the internet at any time (provided the router is switched on).

The machines can be connected directly to the router via Ethernet cables that are plugged into the network card ports on the back of each computer. This system would be a piece of cake to set up, and would work perfectly. One of the problems with making a direct cable connection between the two computers - which is one method of sharing the connection - is that the computer that's connected to the broadband modem has to be turned on before the second machine can go online. With a router you don't have this problem - both machines can access the internet independently.

There are also other drawbacks to Connection sharing with a cable between the computers:-

1. Connection sharing does not support certain applications such as MSN Messenger and NetMeeting.

2. Connection sharing has no support for content filtering and logging.

3. There is an additional load on the primary computer which may have a performance impact.

I appreciate that these points may not concern you, but it's worth mentioning.

If you were one of my clients I would advise you to buy a router, connect the computers to it via Ethernet cables, and enjoy a trouble-free broadband connection on both machines.

woodchip 23:45 14 Oct 05

I use a 3Com Firewall Modem Router. With a Card in my Laptop to connect two Desktops by Ethernet wires one is a Win98se Computer other is a XP computer. I also connect Laptop wirelessly this a XP laptop. I can have any one computer on at any time or all together. They do not need to be Networked to do the above

click here

You will need one Wireless Ethernet card and one that is wired to connect them.

PS you will not need a Wired Card if you have a Ethernet Connection in one of the computers.

This a Wireless PCI card click here

wjrt 15:07 15 Oct 05

a few examples

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…