can i connect freeveiw set top box to comp

davro 19:50 19 Mar 05

i have dell dimension 8100 1.7 ghz 512 rdram 160gb h/d is it possible to connect digital tv free veiw box to my computer and can i record onto hard drive and burn back onto dvd at good full screen quality? do i need software to record to hard drive ? thanks

Joe R 19:55 19 Mar 05

davro,

you will also need a pci digital tv card.

Joe R 19:56 19 Mar 05

or,

usb or firewire versions.

Graham ® 19:59 19 Mar 05

You will need a TV card in the PC. Look on google or Teoma.

SEASHANTY 23:48 19 Mar 05

Avermedia PCI or USB DVB tuners
click here

SEASHANTY 23:58 19 Mar 05

You should also be able to connect your Freeview box if your graphics card supports TV in. The connection may present a bit of a problem. Most Freeview boxes have a scart connection whereas TV in graphics are usually S-VIDEO or composite RCA
(phono socket). Sound is normally direct to the
sound card (or possibly a stereo jack socket). You
would therefore need a suitable adaptor for this
setup. Its usually the same TV input connectors if
you just purchase a PCI TV card. click here

SEASHANTY 00:02 20 Mar 05

Another website you may find useful
click here

roy 00:08 20 Mar 05

Bookmarked

Stuartli 09:36 20 Mar 05

The simplest and most appropriate solution has already been suggested - a PCI Freeview TV card.

I have a Twinhan VisionPlus DTV ter Freeview card, which cost just over £50 including delivery from click here; it brings in all the 70+ Freeview TV and radio stations from Winter Hill.
In addition it has a neat remote control, Electronic Programme Guide (EPG) and you can record to your hard drive. I've not used the recording side as I have a Nicam VCR.

Picture and sound quality of the Twinhan are first class but the latest driver is about 40MB+ (2.43) so broadband would be a help. I got my son, who has broadband, to download it for me. Apparently it's the same basic driver as used by Hauppauge.

The Twinhan will happily perform on a 500MHz CPU system upwards and is also fully compatible with HDTV if and when it becomes available (1.6MHz system upwards), one reason why it is such a popular card in Australia.

There's a satellite alternative available along with external USB models.

More details at:

click here

SEASHANTY 11:53 20 Mar 05

Assume from your thread title that you already own a Freeview box that you wish to connect to your PC.
If your graphics card has a coaxial aerial in socket and your Freeview box has a modulated output then you could connect this direct by coax cable.
Unfortunately very few STB have a modulator and to purchase one separately would cost around £26 inc
vat and postage click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…