CAN I COMPRESS IT

ZEROTOLERANCE 19:30 02 Jun 04

I Have a problem, the MY MUSIC folder has grown so large that my hard drive is almost totaly full,

my question is can i use win- zip to crush the my music folder so as it takes up less space, or should i do them each singly? or is it (as i suspect) not possible to compress mp3 audio files or folders??

i await the experts knowledge.

ZT

Dan the Confused 19:34 02 Jun 04

I zipped a single mp3 once and it hardly made any difference. It might make a small difference if you have a large number of them but I doubt it will save much disk space.

THE TERMINATOR 19:41 02 Jun 04

The simple answer is yes, you can zip the my music folder. But you can only do this if you have enough space on your drive to do so. Wouldn't it be better burning all your mp3's to cd audio or data disk. To be honest the space saved wouldn't be worth it to zip this folder, and as your drive is nearly full it would be better removing them all or at least the ones you don't need.

ZEROTOLERANCE 19:49 02 Jun 04

ok thanx, (the size of the folder is 4gb)
i guess its down to a few hours burning

ZEROTOLERANCE 23:49 02 Jun 04

I HAVE JUST BEEN GOING THROUGH THINGS AND I NOTICED THAT THERE IS LIttle box you can tick that says compress drive, would this make a better difference to the space, is it worthwhile?

TomJerry 00:01 03 Jun 04

You cannot reduce size by compressing MP3 files and also wave files. Mp3 is compressed format, even go beyond it, it is actually lossy method of reducing file size by throw away some information. This means that you cannot get the exactly the same wave file when you "compress" a wav file to mp3 file and "uncompress" back. This is not the same as zip which is lossless compress method, i.e. you can get back original.

The original wav files (ripped from CD) cannot be compressed by any lossless compression method.

If a music file can be compresses, why clever people invent mp3 in the first place.

Of course, you can re-encode mp3 file using low bite rate to reduce file size. But you loss quality by doing this.

woodchip 00:03 03 Jun 04

Get a bigger drive

TomJerry 00:05 03 Jun 04

Do some backup quickly. 4gb mp3, must be a lot of music. What will you do if your HDD just pop?

ZEROTOLERANCE 00:35 03 Jun 04

yes i know ineeed to buy a bigger HD
TomJerry, i have got a bacup of the folder but obviously thats 8gb of stuff, it looks like the new HD is best option. Shoot

Dan the Confused 23:23 03 Jun 04

Do you mean you have a backup folder of your mp3s on the same drive? If so, I would delete it as it seems a bit pointless and a waste of 4gb.

ZEROTOLERANCE 01:06 04 Jun 04

yes that is what i meant, but if i scrub that how SHALL i bac it up?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…