Can I close the lid of my laptop and leave it on?

as400man 19:56 19 Jun 03

I have my laptop's power setting to 'stand by' when I close the lid. As I always use it with mains power, can I leave it on when the lid is closed? Does the LCD screen generate heat? Might I damage the PC in any way doing this?
Your advice is most appreciated as always.

graham√? 19:59 19 Jun 03

If it goes to standby the screen will be off.

spikeychris 20:00 19 Jun 03

as400man, I do it all the time. Your question "Does the LCD screen generate heat?" >> nope. If you shut up shop whilst on-line (broadband) you just need to hit F5 and your back in business.

Chris

as400man 20:03 19 Jun 03

But I have to press power to get it back working. Can I just take option 'Take no action' so that it is up and running if I open it ten minutes later?

as400man 20:05 19 Jun 03

That's reassuring.

another Chris

Belatucadrus 21:42 19 Jun 03

Does the LCD screen generate heat ? No, but the laptop itself does, in the hand book for my FIC it recomends you do not close the lid until it has cooled down.

Magik ®© 21:47 19 Jun 03

I go along with Belatucadrus , never shut the lid while it is still warm, you only have to put your hand on the keys above where the fans are to see how hot it gets..and that will do the screen no good at all..

wee eddie 23:29 19 Jun 03

This is not necessarily present on all laptops and will be handled in a different way by each casing manufacturer.

On my monitor hinge there is a wee lump and built into the case opposite it is a tiny pin.

The lump depresses the pin and turns everything off as soon as the top is closed.

as400man 08:50 20 Jun 03

OK I see that there may be an issue with the PC generating heat which may affcet the screen. I currently have the power option 'stand by' when the lid is closed. What does 'stand by' do? Does this mode generate heat in the same way as leaving the power on?

Belatucadrus 10:05 20 Jun 03

Here is a quote from windows 98 own help pages, it looks like standby is OK, Hibernate is better. Check your power management and set the timings to suit yourself.

" Managing power on a portable computer

Using power management, you can reduce your portable computer?s consumption of battery power and still keep the computer available for immediate use.

While your computer is on standby, your monitor and hard disks turn off, and battery power consumption is reduced. When you bring the computer out of standby, your desktop appears exactly as you left it.

You may also be able to put your computer in hibernation. The hibernate feature turns off your monitor and hard disk, saves everything in memory on disk, and turns off the computer. When you restart the computer, your desktop is restored exactly as you left it.

to open the Power Management Properties dialog box.

Notes

You can also open the Power Management Properties dialog box by clicking Start, pointing to Settings, clicking Control Panel, and clicking Power Management.
For information about how to use power management, click Related Topics.
You may want to save your work before putting your computer on standby. While on standby, information in computer memory is not saved on your hard disk. If there is an interruption in power, information in memory is lost.
To use power management, you must have a computer that is set up by the manufacturer to support these features. For more information, see your computer documentation."

spikeychris 10:10 20 Jun 03

click here

click here

Not disagreeing but how long are you to wait?. I've used the standby option for over 3 years and have never had a problem (not an argument I know)

I used to have to take out 6 notebooks every day to a different venue and network them, all six had their lids closed whilst the machines where still hot and all was fine.

Laptops do get hot (very hot, to the point where having them on your lap is not a good idea) but to wait until they cooled down would be a major setback for me.

as400man, good question..

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…