Can I clear everything except XP

Trikie 17:11 16 Jun 10

I've been given a hand me down laptop that has been owned by daughter and then grandaughter.

Is it possible to delete eveything except XP and make a clean start and if so how?

Technotiger 17:22 16 Jun 10

If you have a XP original disc, and if the laptop has its own XP Key Label stuck on it, usually underneath - you could simply re-install XP from scratch.

gengiscant 17:25 16 Jun 10

If you have the XP disk and have the COA number, then a reinstall of the operating system is probably the best way to go.
Though that will mean finding all the drivers for the laptop. But if you post here with make and model I try and find them for you.

You can also use this click here to install many of the more popular programs all at once.Most helpful.

gengiscant 17:26 16 Jun 10

Snap,slow typing.

Technotiger 17:31 16 Jun 10

Slow typing - that's usually my problem :-))

Excellent Link BTW, though I have all the programs I need!

woodchip 17:45 16 Jun 10

You could do a good job of clearing things by first going to Programs and write down things you do not want, then go to Control Panel\Add Remove Programs and click the ones you do not want then uninstall. Take care you do not remove any Windows Programs. Then go to Windows Explorer after you removed Programs, look under Program Files if you see any folders for the Programs you Uninstalled Right click them and uninstall. Also you can do a search for Program Names then delete them

Trikie 18:08 16 Jun 10

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately i don't have the XP disk so will clear as much as I can as suggested by woodchip.

Taff™ 08:59 17 Jun 10

There is a good chance that the laptop has a recovery partition with the XP installation on it if it didn`t come with any disk. This can be used to restore it to ex-factory condition. Let us have the make and model and we`ll check it out for you.

Usually on start up as the laptop does it`s POST routine before Windows starts to load there will be options for "Function Keys" something like F2 - Settings (BIOS) F10 - boot order etc. If we know the make and model we can perhaps advise.

Note that restoring to factory settings will erase everything completely and you will have to re-install all the Windows updates from scratch. Not quite as daunting as it sounds because you can install Service Pack 3 and then probably a hundred further smaller updates later (About 45 minutes) you`ll be done!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…