Can I buy a AGP x8 if my MOBO only supports x4

Mr Mac2020 20:37 24 Apr 06

Can anyone help me I have an aging PB Imedia 5116SE with a x4 AGP slot the thing is, I want to upgrade my Gigabyte Radeon 9200 graphics card but I am not too sure on upgrades. I have a 250W PSU running windows XP.

Can anyone help???

Totally-braindead 20:40 24 Apr 06

Yes it will work fine they are backward compatible and the difference between a 4x slot and a 8x slot is small anyway, you would think it would be twice the speed but its not.

Giggle n' Bits 20:46 24 Apr 06

The Voltage of the Card must be mathced to your AGP Slot on the Motherboard think were talking 1.5v Or 3.0v as using the wrong one can cause damage/problems. Its something to do with the gold chips/pins on the card its self the way there laid out.

Totally-braindead 21:02 24 Apr 06

Blue Note is right I forgot about that but this is your PC click here and its new enough to have the newer voltage card so it should be ok. Perhaps someone who has a Packard Bell could confirm this though just to be on the safe side.

Mr Mac2020 22:04 24 Apr 06

Blue Note and Totally-braindead,

Thanks guys, there is so much to choose from but I do not want to change my PSU as the speakers are powered from it aswell.

T-B - Yes the link is my PC. So if I wanted to spend around £50, what would you buy.

Once again, thanks guys.

Totally-braindead 22:24 24 Apr 06

Well I can only really advise on Nvidia cards as they are the ones I prefer. I'm sure someone will advise on the ATI ones and you want one that does not require extra power and £50 or less. I would consider something like this click here or click here or click here the 6200 is the newer better card and I can't see a power connector on it so I presume it doesn't need more juice but a phone call to the nice Novatech people would confirm it. Or you could consider this click here they do a very nice 5600 but I'm unsure if that needs power as well.

You might get away with having a card that needs its own power its just I'm trying to avoid it as you only have a 250watt power supply to be on the safe side. Heres a link to the various cards so you can see what thet perform like click here I couldn't find the 6200 listed but the others are there.

rdave13 23:50 24 Apr 06

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017