Can I boot XP from external HD on Win7 Laptop?

Cal 21:10 31 Dec 10

I have two laptops - one (old) xp and one win7 64.
The xp laptop has died, but after extracting the hd and putting it in an external enclosure, the files can be read perfectly on my win7 machine.

Is it possible to boot xp from the external hd to my win7 laptop?
The external hd has a sata port and the win7 pc has esata port. Will this work if I reconfigure boot sequence in bios or are there other complications invovled such as hardware drivers on the win7 machine not recognising xp?

Jwbjnwolf 21:34 31 Dec 10

So as it sounds, that xp used to be on your old laptop?
You can only boot an operating system via external hdd if you installed it on the hdd using that pc you want to use it on.

so it will be hardware probs by the sounds of it

woodchip 21:49 31 Dec 10

Yes you can if you use a Free Boot Manager. I use Acronis Boot Manager, part of Acronis Disc Director

Cal 21:50 31 Dec 10

So what you're saying is I'll only be able to boot xp from the external hd via my win7 laptop if I first install the xp onto my win7 machine's internal hd? How, by partition? Didn't really want to do that. I wanted to keep the xp on a seperate drive.

Cal 21:52 31 Dec 10

This sounds hopeful. Is this fairly straightforward to do and what about driver conflicts between my win7 laptop and xp os?

Jwbjnwolf 21:59 31 Dec 10

no,
i mean if you installed it on the external hdd whilst using that pc and windows will install the necessary drivers for that pc.
if you origanally had a webcam preinstalled, all the drivers needed are installed and even if you did have a webcam on your newer laptop, they would not be the correct ones.
you would have a load of useless drivers and none needed drivers.

woodchip 22:25 31 Dec 10

Yes when you load the Boot Manager it looks for all drives then writes to the Boot sector on the Hard Drive and the Ex Drive. It starts boot manager when you press start button befor windows loads, you just click on the OS you want to run. As many as you want click here

woodchip 22:27 31 Dec 10

PS you need drivers for all different OS that are used, there is no such thing as one driver fit all OS's

Jwbjnwolf 22:54 31 Dec 10

Is the xp license OEM?
If so, as your old laptop is dead, you cannot use that copy of windows legally no more unless it is in the original pc.

Just because you friend died and you hated your new friend(meaning he isnt nice hearted), You cannot swap the heart from your old friend to your new friend because it is dead.
Same with the windows license.

I know i have odd ways of explaining things but my mum is the same.
But you get the similarity?

woodchip 22:57 31 Dec 10

OEM's are different, not all are the same. I have one, not bought with a PC this will go on any PC. I bought it. Not stolen or pirated

Jwbjnwolf 23:07 31 Dec 10

what i mean is preinstalled versions

not ones where you install it yourself with the disk

click here

the points lotvic have pointed out are near enough what you need to know for what you are trying to do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…