Can I boot PC from mains electric point?

Chelonian 08:45 14 Apr 10

My PC is located in a separate room to the monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Instead of pressing the power button on the system case is it possible for me to configure my PC to boot when its power is switched on at the mains wall socket?

And can I configure Windows to automatically launch Outlook after booting?

My PC runs Windows XP Home SP3.

Thanks for any advice.

Technotiger 09:09 14 Apr 10

No, I am pretty sure this is not possible. When you shut down at night you would have done so in the normal way, Start>Shutdown etc and then switch off at mains. In order to re-start you must switch on at mains, then proceed via the Start button on PC, as normal.

onthelimit 09:12 14 Apr 10

1. No, I don't think so

2. Yes click here

scotty 09:24 14 Apr 10

Check your BIOS to see if there is an option to power on from keyboard/mouse.

Alternatively, do sleep or hibernate options allow your pc to re-start using keyboard/mouse?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:07 14 Apr 10

1. Leave on at mains socket.
Enable Keyboard Power-on in the BIOS - and possibly also on the motherboard because there might be a DIP switch for it.
You must also use the right kind of keyboard, namely one with a little PC symbol on the spacebar. Older ones wont work.

Even with spacebar power-on enabled there are times when it doesn't work. This can typically happen after an abnormal power-off.

2. As per onthelimit post.

Chelonian 16:20 14 Apr 10

Thanks for the advice everyone.

A friend plugs a power cable into a wall socket, flicks the switch and her PC boots. She shuts the PC down in the normal way via the Start icon. I asked her how she does this but she doesn't know because it was set up for her. Her PC runs Windows XP Media Center.

The other devices connected to her PC are printer, router and speakers and they also power up when the switch is flicked so I assume that they're connected via an adapter.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:59 14 Apr 10

Controlling peripherals
Computer peripherals are controlled by using an intelligent power-strip. There are several different styles of power-strip available all working on similar principles ranging from entry level products to fully standards compliant Intelligent Power Distribution Units (iPDUs) in the UK this includes compliance to BS 6396 for the "Installation of Electrical Power in Office and Educational Furniture". There are versions available to meet the requirements of countries world wide. The PC is plugged into a special socket on the power-strip. The peripherals such as printer, scanner or monitor are plugged into the same power-strip. When the PC is powered down or shut down, the block senses3 that the PC is no longer drawing power and shuts off power to sockets that the peripherals are connected to.

When the power-strip senses that the PC is drawing power again, power is returned to the sockets that the peripherals are connect to, powering up the peripherals.

Chelonian 17:23 14 Apr 10

Thanks Fruit Bat. I'll get myself one of those power strips. I think that my friend's peripherals are connected via a slightly less intelligent £2.99 adapter from Woolworths.

But I still can't understand how her PC boots when I plug the cable into the wall and switch it on. Without any other intervention the PC boots into Windows. One would need to crawl under a table to push the power button on the system case.

Jollyjohn 17:28 14 Apr 10

In the bios under power settings look for something like "AC Resume state" this gives the options of "always off", "standby" or "power on"
This option is for remote computer to reboot after a power cut. I use it for my media centre which is in a cupboard. I shut it down in the normal way at night and the following evening just flick the switch on the socket on and everything bursts into life.

Technotiger 18:47 14 Apr 10

I have one of the power strips that Fruit Bat /\0/\
has mentioned - it has six sockets on it, two of which can be individually set to stay on permanently, or off as required. I have my Router connected to one of these always-on sockets, while the other one is configured to work together with the other four sockets.

The whole strip is operated via my VCR Remote Control (the VCR is also connected to the strip), so that pressing a button on the Remote, my PC (tower) and all peripherals, printer, 2x external hard drives, speakers, video/audio processor-mixer and powered USB hub all come on together. BUT, I still need to press the on/off button on the front of the tower to start the PC.

Being partially disabled and the normal sockets being near the floor (as usual), this strip is a god-send.

But I still say what you are suggesting is happening, cannot be done!

Technotiger 18:55 14 Apr 10

PS - I should have added at the end of my last sentence ......

Under normal circumstances, though I can imagine it being possible, by special wiring/modification of the PC Case on/off switch.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…