Can I block WGA?

Pineman100 12:11 22 Sep 06

I've just got around to downloading Softpedia's RemoveWGA tool, that I read about in the October issue of PCA.

I ran the tool, and here's what happened:-

1. The tool reported that the WGA notifier was present on my computer.
2. As instructed I restarted the computer, and the tool removed WGA.
3. I immediately got a System Tray report that there were Windows updates waiting to be installed, so I installed them.
4. Yup - you've guessed it. The first update to be installed was the WGA notifier.
5. I ran the removal tool which reported that WGA was NOT present on my computer.
6. I restarted the computer, ran the tool, found that WGA WAS now present.
7. I restarted the computer and the tool removed WGA.

So far my Windows automatic update has not reinstalled the WGA notifier, but presumably it will do so at the next automatic update.

My OS is an absolutely legit OEM installation on my computer, but I thoroughly resent being checked up on by Big Brother Microsoft. Is there any way that I can block the reinstallation of this Microsoft spyware, or do I have to run the RemoveWGA tool every time I start my computer? I don't want to switch off the automatic Windows update function, for security reasons.

johnnyrocker 12:16 22 Sep 06

why not ring microsoft and they will talk you through the way round the error?

johnny.

Stuartli 12:16 22 Sep 06

Set WindowsUpdate to inform you of available updates but to notify you rather than install them.

If you select Customise on the panel after clicking on the yellow icon you can find details of the updates and select which ones you wish to install.

Stuartli 12:16 22 Sep 06

Set WindowsUpdate to inform you of available updates but to notify you rather than install them.

If you select Customise on the panel after clicking on the yellow icon you can find details of the updates and select which ones you wish to install.

James. 12:17 22 Sep 06

Go to the MS update site, choose custom install, when the list of available updates is displayed, select the WGA update and choose "Hide this update".

This worked for me, but I get an occasional message to the effect that I have critical updates hidden, do I want to show them, which I ignore.

seedie 17:00 22 Sep 06

I turned off windows updates months ago - pain in the ass

Now i'm thinking to myself. Will they call it Vista SE or SP1 or perhaps something completely new?

CD

Simsy 20:28 22 Sep 06

"I don't want to switch off the automatic Windows update function, for security reasons."...

If you want the updates, you have to have the WGA...

No WGA = No Updates.

That's the deal! (At least as I understand it!)

Regards,

Simsy

Stuartli 23:44 22 Sep 06

No, that is not correct - in fact it's way off the mark.

You can download all the MS updates you wish, but you don't have to have WGA on your system.

All you need to do is exactly as I suggested.

bluto1 23:59 22 Sep 06

Type Remove WGA into your browser and take your pick of the best.

Stuartli 00:16 23 Sep 06

It's already been removed...:-)

rsinbad 00:18 23 Sep 06

stuarti is right

click here choose custom install and hide WGA and ignore important hidden updates

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…