Can I be too safe?

otubby1 22:55 10 May 03

Can running two firewalls have the same effect as two AV's? I.e. slowing things down?
It's just that, although I run PCCillin with it's own firewall, I thought I might just be extra safe and have two, and downloaded Sygate personal firewall.
I am running an AMD Athlon 1800+ with 256meg DDR on a 40 gig ide hd with ME as my os.

The PC Doctor 22:59 10 May 03

You may find that both firewalls are now competing for the same file access to your Pc, I personnally think that they would slow things down, but have had no experience with two firewalls.....

I would suggest using just 1 firewall and a good Anti-virus program.

I use Zonealarm (Free version) and Kapersky AVP.

I understand that AVG is quite good, and it's free.

otubby1 23:06 10 May 03

I just thought I'd ask after seeing the advice about not running two AV's in another thread. I think I'll stick to PCCillin as it has worked so well for me for the last twelve months.

Belatucadrus 23:07 10 May 03

Duplicating firewalls and antivirus isn't a very good idea. Some anti virus packages in particular can clash badly and make a system very unstable. I don't think multiple firewalls are as potentialy problematic, but if you are on dial up more than one is a bit of overkill. If you are on broadband and that worried about hacking look at a hardware firewall.

The PC Doctor 23:07 10 May 03

Always best to stick with the one you've been using and trust....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…