Can I access my home network remotely with VPN?

Wavey 13:54 18 Oct 05

I'd like to be able to get access to shared drive etc while away from home. One option is remote desktop software but could I use the the vpn capabilities of my Dlink DI-804HV vpn router at home to connect in while away.

I've messed around and managed to get connected using a 30 day free trial of Dlinks vpn client software. I was hopin that my home network would appear as if I was connected at home. None of the shared resources appear though.

I'd like to go for the vpn option as I can let my brother have access as well and it should be a bit less clunky once setup. Is it sensible what I'm trying to do? Any ideas on configuring it?

I'd be grateful for any ideas.
Any help would be really appreciated.

Chegs ® 21:28 18 Oct 05

click here is a free remote desktop app,I use it to access my daughters PC from where-ever I need to.

Gaz 25 01:13 19 Oct 05

A VPN allows a Virtual Local Area Network connection.

You can connect to shares, browse using Network Neighborhood.

Dlinks software is only to simplify the process.

Ensure you set-up an IPsec/L2TP over PPP VPN, and set-up a PER-SHARE/passphrase key.

Then set-up a remote user, and apply the correct settings.

Ensure the firewall is set to allow the VPN ports, and also check L2TP is enabled as a service.

On the client:

In Windows XP, there is a reg patch you can apply (KB Q240262)

Then set the correct settings up in properties of the VPN connection, and in IPsec Properties enter the per-share key.

Enter user-name and password for the remote login user.

Gaz 25 01:15 19 Oct 05

You may be asked for IP DHCP pools.

Just set this to your IP address scheme and set a range (normally high for VPN networks), such as -

IP pool addresses: 5 (how many addresses you have pooled out)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…