Can Hotfixes be put onto CD-R?

TommyRed 09:16 12 May 04

I've asked this question before but worded it wrong. click here . Can updates be put onto CD-R from my XP to my Aunts XP, as she only has dial-up. If so how, and how are they installed? TIA TR

Chronos 09:29 12 May 04

i dont think you can,because when you go to updates it scans the system to see what you already have..might be best to bring auntys PC home download what you want then take it back.

The Spires 09:29 12 May 04

This was copied off this site a few weeks ago I can't remember who posted it but it does work.

Tick "Display the link to the Windows Update Catalogue under See Also"
Click "Save settings"

You'll see "Windows update catalogue" appear bottom left.
Click it.

Click "Find updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems"
Scroll down "Windows XP SP1"

Click "search" (right lower)
Click "Critical Updates and Service Packs"

Wait a few seconds...

Choose what updates you want by clicking "Add"
Now click "Go to Download Basket"

Click "Browse" and choose the place where the updates will download to.
Click "Download Now"

Accept the License.
The Updates will now download.

Stuartli 09:31 12 May 04

I use FreshDownload and created a DeskTop folder entitled FD Downloads - this is the target for any programs, updates etc which I download.

Any software, updates etc can be executed from the FD folder as usual, but the main advantage is that a copy/backup is retained (unless, of course, you decide to delete it from the folder).

To keep a record of each file (XP Pro) I right click on it and choose the Summary tab. You can then type in a short note about the file and its intended use; don't forget to click Apply afterwards.

I also save many of the items, including HotFixes and utilities, onto multisession CD-Rs using Nero.
When the CD-R is full I start a new one. I use the title Various and number them in sequence i.e. Various 1, Various 2 etc.

It is important to keep an accurate record of what is available on each CD-R, otherwise you would spend a lot of time finding what you require.

It's proved a handy method of installing AVG, S and D 1.2 and similar utilities onto friends and families' systems without the bother of having to redownload them.

TommyRed 09:50 12 May 04

Can the updates I've already got be used?
The Spires,On the Windows update site I cannot see " Display the link to the Windows Update Catalogue" all I see under 'see also' is "about windows update". TR

inneedofhelp 09:53 12 May 04

I have a dial-up modem and my girlfriend has broadband. When I re-installed windowsXP, there was almost 70mb of updates required!

There was no-way I was going to download this on a dial-up, so this is what i did.

I went to the windows update page on my pc,and pressed scan. This takes about 1 min then gives you a list of what needs updating.I then copied all the update codes eg KB******* that i needed and copied this list to a floppy. I then went to my G/F house, downloaded the required updates(took 10mins) when choosing where to save these, i opted for the CD/r and went back home, copied to c drive, and installed.Easy!!!!!

TommyRed 10:09 12 May 04

Found out how to get those instructions to work, you have to click on "Personalize Windows Update". Unfortunately it didn't return the results I expected, none of the hotfixes I have are included in the list to download. It's as if it knows I already have them and has scanned me. TR

Diodorus Siculus 10:12 12 May 04

TorryRed - what you can do is click here and download all the patches and burn to CD - then install them on the other PC.

Demora 11:01 12 May 04

Thanks. for this post

Demora

Sapins 11:14 12 May 04

saved to my postings

Stuartli 15:44 12 May 04

I have dialup - my son has broadband. If I require a massive download I key the details into his downloads menu (it's done via a link to his system); he downloads it for me, pops it on a CD-RW and brings it round a day or so later....:-)

However, I replaced an on the way out HDD a few weeks ago and still have to replace the link, so can't provide any further details at present.

But it would no doubt work just as well in your case with a link to your girl friend's system.

Or move house..:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…