Can HD Manufacturer reformat my HD?

theearlofsabden 18:56 04 Jul 08

Hi there.

I heard that if I go to my Hard Drives Manufacturer's website they (online) can reformat my Hard Drive?

TEXT BELOW COPIED FROM A FORUM;

If you literally want to start from zero, go to your Hard Drive manufacturer's website and look for a hard drive utility that will write zeros to your hard drive. If you want to meet Department of Defense standards... run it seven times.

Is the above possible? I have a Samsung HD 300LD.

Regards
Neil.

Pamy 18:59 04 Jul 08

No, you download a program (utility) that you canthen run the one you are reading does not format it fills the disc with 0's and doing 7 times hopefully makes it unreadable

theearlofsabden 19:07 04 Jul 08

Hello Pamy

Any idea where I get that from?

Regards
Neil.

audeal 19:08 04 Jul 08

This is qite different from a proper format which sets up your tracks and sectors for recording on. What you are discribing is the process that you can perform when you want to dispose of your Hard Drive and make it unreadable.

Even after a format your data can still be read by others who have the right software. But filling the drive with zeros will overwrite the data with zeros and therefor making your data unreadable. I hope this makes it a bit clearer to you and you understand the process better.

theearlofsabden 19:13 04 Jul 08

Thanks Audeal

I understand the process but thought from reading what was posted on the forum (original thread) that I could re-format online. If this is not possible as "pamy" suggests, any idea what software I could use to re-format my hard drive?

Regards
Neil.

woodchip 19:17 04 Jul 08

So how will you put the Operating System back on the Drive PLus drivers for all the Hardware that must match the OS

Pamy 19:33 04 Jul 08

TEXT BELOW COPIED FROM A FORUM;said...
If you literally want to start from zero, go to your Hard Drive manufacturer's website and look for a hard drive utility that will write zeros to your hard drive. If you want to meet Department of Defense standards... run it seven times.

MarvintheAndroid 19:59 04 Jul 08

I think you are referring to a low level format. A few manufacturers provide downloadable utilities to do this, but I would suggest you only use the one from your HDD manufacturer, not anyone else. You certainly can't do it online.

Why on earth do you want to do this ? The fact that you can do it doesn't mean that you need to. Reality check please.

If you want to format you disk so Windows can use it, then use Format. If you want to secure wipe the free space there are lots of shredder programs to do this, for example before selling the computer.

Marv

€dstowe 20:01 04 Jul 08

The process is called a "low level format" and is not done on line by the manufacturer of the drive but by a utility offered by the drive manufacturer.

The utility for Samsung drives is called the ES-Tool and can be downloaded from click here

The ES Tool will do other things as well - use it very carefully. Read up on what you are doing first because if you do it wrong, there is no going back.

theearlofsabden 20:13 04 Jul 08

Thanks Edstowe

Just what I was looking for.

Regards
Neil.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…