Can hacker switch on PC?

Qdiddy 19:33 24 Jul 04

I switched off my PC this morning, but left my cable modem on all day. Now PC won't boot (going through all the steps for reboot and recovery with some difficulty).

But for this message I was just wondering whether someone could get access to my PC via an always on broadband connection, even though the PC was switched off?

CurlyWhirly 19:51 24 Jul 04

Qdiddy

I think I am right (perhaps other forum members would verify) in saying that it is impossible for a hacker to control your PC while it is turned off!

If all your USB modem's lights are OFF then it means that no data can flow in or out of your PC even if the computer is on.
I normally do this by using XP's 'Safely remove hardware' option on the taskbar.

I do this when I want to disable the anti-virus as with some programs (like TRS 2004) it is recommended to disable anti-virus when installing the application.

I think what it means by an 'always on connection' is that you don't have to dial up your ISP as you had to do with a 56k modem as the broadband data is already digital (not analogue i.e. sound) hence the description 'DIGITAL subscriber line'.
CW

THE TERMINATOR 20:01 24 Jul 04

Always on means 'as soon as you connect to the internet you have a line 24/7, but the line is only live when you are connected to the internet. If your pc is switched off, then your line is not connected, your drive wont spin and no-one can get access to your pc. And as long as you have a firewall and virus software, they can't, when you are connected....TT

bremner 20:05 24 Jul 04

Thinking out loud here and in general terms.

Someone has a cable modem, not ADSL, and their connection is by ethernet and not USB.

If the BIOS was set to 'wake on LAN' and the computer was only in standby (soft off rather than hard off) then could activity from the cable modem, if that were possible, activate the wake on LAN and switch the machine on?

Qdiddy 20:09 24 Jul 04

I have looked in the bios settings and Power On with LAN is disabled. I'm pretty certain no has been on my PC today and hope the boot failure and Cable modem being left on are just coincidence. Stay tuned for a new question on hardrive recovery options!!!!

bremner 20:10 24 Jul 04

I never switch my cable modem off and am sure this is nothing to do with your problems on booting

Djohn 20:11 24 Jul 04

But not certain. Mine is through the phone line and as CurlyWhirly says, I do the same. Connect first thing and leave connected all the time unless I'm installing a program that requires anti-virus being turned off, then I will disconnect for a while by clicking on the Icon in the notification area of taskbar.

bremner 20:18 24 Jul 04

Qdiddy question just made me think. On my old set up I used the soft off and left the cable modem on.

Never thought about 'wake on LAN' so would be keen to know for certain.

Djohn 20:25 24 Jul 04

PJ123 will probably know the answer to this one as he uses NTL cable, I'll phone him now and see.

Djohn 20:40 24 Jul 04

and mailed a link to this thread.

bremner 21:38 24 Jul 04

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…