Can a fault with a M/board kill a PSU ?

Giggle n' Bits 00:43 01 Nov 03

just looking for a quick electrical know how.

If a PSU blows and results in a dead Motherboard or could a fault with a motherboard die instantly taking out a PSU.

ahales42 00:49 01 Nov 03

a fault with the psu CAN take your MB out. The other way around is unlikely.

yep faulty psu is likely to cause the motherboard to die

DieSse 01:12 01 Nov 03

Either way is possible - but a faulty PSU is a much more likely prime cause.

Derek 06:25 01 Nov 03

To buy a PSU can be expensive. Think about buying a cheap new case and taking the PSU out.
I have done this many times and always go for "Flower" with a 350 watt, about ?26 from fairs.

Gongoozler 08:47 01 Nov 03

A properly designed PSU should protect itself. I have recently fitted a QTek PSU from E-Buyer, and was quite impressed with the performance for the relatively modest price. click here

Bagsey 08:52 01 Nov 03

The Ebuyer link is very good, even cheaper than Maplins, who are known for cheap good gear.I will certainly keep their address on file for the future.

Giggle n' Bits 11:29 01 Nov 03

I wouldn't mind but the power to the tower was connected via a surge protector. Did notice that the Fan was fairly clogged up with dust, the PSU is/was a Cortek 300Watt witch was a switching type.

Just unlucky for it to take the motherboard with it.

Thanks all you early hour people and M8 DieSse !.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…