Can an e-mail address get hijacked?

sam-the-man 14:56 17 Jan 04

This is something that I have wanted to know for sometime. Can an e-mail address get hijacked. the reason I am asking this is I feel that mine has. I found out a few days ago that all my e-mail was being forwarded to a yahoo mailbox. NTL told me that it wasn't their fault (surprise, surprise) and that I had set this up myself. Not true - I don't even use Yahoo as a search engine. Can anyone explain how my e-mails have ended up going to a yahoo.com mail address.

This is driving me nuts.

Many thanks in advance

AndyJ 15:57 17 Jan 04

Weird. However as your email is coming from someone else's machine(s) one would suspect the fault lies outside your hands. If all the mail is coming from one person then I would suspect that person has incorrectly put your email address in their address book

Have you tried sending an email to yourself and see if it comes back to you correctly, and not to the yahoo account?

sam-the-man 20:03 17 Jan 04

I have sent e-mail to myself and everything seems to have gone to this [email protected] address.

NTL looked at the settings for the account and informed me that the rules for the "options" settings stated that all messages were to be forwarded and then deleted to this yahoo address. What hacks me off is the fact that this broadband account that I have with NTL has given nothing but problems since it was activated nearly three years ago plus I run a charity and a lot of the charity business goes through this e-mail address - nothing of any use to anyone but its damned annoying when someone says that they have mailed you regarding the adoption of a dog and you have to say that you never got the mail.

johnnyrocker 20:08 17 Jan 04

have you upset anyone recently?;)

johnny.

AndyJ 20:33 17 Jan 04

Are NTL going to do anything?

AragornUK 20:40 17 Jan 04

I would go into your NTL email seetings and change the passwords for your email accounts. At least that way if someone's cracked your password they won't get back in. And don't forget to cancel the email forwarding.

sam-the-man 20:45 17 Jan 04

To answer johnnyrockers question I don't think so or at least not on purpose and to answer AndyJ question - well da! this is NTL we are talking about don't forget so what do you think. After all nothing is EVER their fault.

sam-the-man 20:47 17 Jan 04

AragornUK has the best idea - change all my e-mail account passwords. This will be a priority.

Any other suggestions gratefully accepted.

Sam

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…