Can Dell be beaten by much?

Bansaw 09:37 23 Jan 06

Just looking at Dell's price for it's Dimension 1100, they ship it at £250 or so.

The kind of spec is:
Celeron 2.80 ghz, 80Gb hdd, 512Mb, 15" flatscreen, XP Home...

Is it possible to build a PC at a similar spec for *much* less? What kind of margin can it be beaten by?

rawprawn 09:41 23 Jan 06

I seriously doubt it.

rmcqua 09:42 23 Jan 06

£343 with VAT and shipping.

ventanas 10:23 23 Jan 06

I bought 20 Dells just before Xmas. Decent spec and including Office 2003 it worked out at £434 each, including shipping. I just don't think you can do better. All are working fine.

961 10:38 23 Jan 06

No, I don't think you can build at these sort of prices

One of the factors is the price I guess they pay for windows as opposed to the private buyer of even oem versions. Add to that the cost of buying components by the thousand and you'll see it's impossible

The only place where the private builder can make up some room is the fact that he may not need to buy a new screen or other peripherals if he is building for himself. And he won't need to pay for warranty

jack 10:52 23 Jan 06

No way can an individual or small builder match prices with a volume builder the likes of DELL.

Where an individual can score [already owned peripherals aside] is specification and upgradeability.
Corporations [as ventanas explained] buy in huge quanties for specific work- office/ educational et al
The machines will be used for nothing else - no high power games or music/video downloads in the main,and the thought of taking the cover off to add extras simply does not happen in such sitations I imagine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…