Can data be retrieved from a 3.5" floppy?

plsndrs3 11:49 20 Feb 04

My daughter had 2 versions of her final thesis [one incomplete, the other full] on floppy, but the wrong one was deleted! I seem to recall that only the root directory reference to the file is removed so, in theory, the thesis is still somewhere on the disk.

Can it be retrieved at all - and if so how? She obviously has little/no money for expensive software ;o))

TIA

Paul

Jester2K 12:03 20 Feb 04

click here

Free and used time and time again here...

anon1 12:04 20 Feb 04

How was it deleted? It is a long shot whether or not it can be recovered, probably not without great expense. Is the file still on the pc by any chance? how was the file created in the first place? this link click here may help and with the pound against the dollar being strong its not too expensive (about £20)

Taran 12:05 20 Feb 04

Software that claims to do the job:

click here

click here

A page with a load of links to try:

click here

I use Ontrack EasyRecovery Professional but at a little over £500 it's a bit steep.

I'll skip the lecture on multiple backups for everything even remotely important...

anon1 12:05 20 Feb 04

OH just checked you can download a free evaluation

Peter 12:12 20 Feb 04

There are several undelete items available on the download section of this site. Try putting "undelete", without the quotes, into the search engine of the download section.

As it's a file on a floppy take a diskcopy of the floppy and try to undelete from the copied disk. Don't use the disk until you have recovered the lost file as writing to it may overwrite your deleted file.

Good luck.

Peter.

plsndrs3 12:33 20 Feb 04

Thanks to everyone - will pass this on - especially Taran for avoiding the lecture [already given by myself anyhow :o))]

Thanks

Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…