Can connect to wireless netwk but not to internet.

simmyholds 15:30 23 Jul 09

Please help..

I am connecting a desktop PC (windows XP) to my wireless network via a Belkin G wireless adapter. I was using the net when I suddenly lost my connection.

My laptop, iphone and PS3 were still connecting to both wireless network and internet.

I have tried the following fixes:

Re-installed my wireless adapter
Cleared & Flushed DNS cache
Unchecked windows firewall
Reset TCP/IP stack
Checked all LAN connection settings making sure all are autmatically detecting

I also get a 'request timed out' message when I try pinging the default gateway...

I am not very PC literate so if anyone sould help in laymans terms it'd be greatly appreciated..!

simmyholds 15:32 23 Jul 09

Can I add that my PC will still connect to wireless network just not the internet...

mgmcc 08:11 24 Jul 09

There is a "problem" with Vista where it can allow a network adapter to have "local" but not "internet" access and I've yet to come across a definitive solution to the problem.

If you have any unused network adapters (e.g. you have a "Local Area Connection" and a "Wireless Network Connection" but only use one), go into the Network Connections folder, right click the unused adapter and select Disable. This should force Vista to use the remaining network adapter for its Internet access.

Also, try disabling TCP Auto-tuning in Vista:

1. Open elevated command prompt with administrator’s privileges.

2. Type the following command and press Enter:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

[To Enable it again, type the following command and press Enter:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=normal]

simmyholds 09:14 24 Jul 09

Please note above, I am using Windows XP not Vista.. Would this solution work for XP aswell??.

Thanks for your continued help....

mgmcc 11:39 24 Jul 09

No, my reply was specifically for Vista.

Open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK) then, at the prompt, type...

ipconfig /all

...and press Enter. This will show details of all network adapters installed in the PC. Right click in the Command Prompt window, "Select All" and press Enter to copy the details to the clipboard. Paste the details into a forum reply here.

If you are unable to paste the details directly from the computer, because it cannot get online, paste them instead into a blank "Notepad" file, transfer the file to a working PC and copy/paste the details from there.

simmyholds 11:00 26 Jul 09

I've managed to fix my problem!. I had my electric meter fixed the other day and had to unplug everything. When I plugged everything back in, I plugged in an old router that was still hard wired to my pc. This must have been causing a conflict cos I unplugged it and now my internet is working fine...!!

Thanks for your help though....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac