can connect wired but not wirelessly

tomevans00 18:41 08 Sep 09

hi

been tearing my hair out trying to figure out why I can't connect to the internet/network wirelessly.

it worked up until about two days ago and still works if I connect to the router directly via an ethernet cable.

my router is a Netgear WGR614V9 - wireless and internet night are both lit. i've tried hard resetting the router and i've also tried uninstalling/reinstalling wireless networks adapter.

my ipconfig /all is:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : KatiesLaptop
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-D9-3D-E8-E6
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controlle
r
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-23-A2-26-06
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 08 September 2009 18:28:58
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 09 September 2009 18:28:58
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

currently running Vista Home Basic SP2.

any help is gratefully recieved.

thanks

tom

mgmcc 20:33 08 Sep 09

At the moment, the IPCONFIG /ALL details show that there is no connection to the wireless network. Try removing the existing wireless 'profile' and then go through the procedure to 'Connect' again:

Go to "Control panel > Network & Sharing Center", then click the link at the left to "Manage Wireless Networks". Click the entry for your wireless network to highlight it and then click the "Remove" button. Close the window so that you're back in the "Network & Sharing Center".

Click the link at the left to "Connect to a Network", highlight the entry for your wireless network, click the "Connect" button and you should be prompted to enter any WEP/WPA key. Once this is accepted you should be 'Connected' to the network.

tomevans00 21:09 08 Sep 09

thanks for your reply

removed the entry - when i click connect to a network it says "windows cannot find any additional networks"

i'm literally sat 3ft away from my router with it's "wireless" light lit.

mgmcc 08:40 09 Sep 09

Try rebooting and then check again for wireless networks. Does the Laptop find any neighbours' wireless networks?

Do you have access to a USB Wireless Network Adapter that you could try with the Laptop? One of the problems with some Laptops is that the wireless adapter is in the main body of the machine with the aerial in the screen section. Continually opening and closing the Laptop can cause the aerial cable running through the hinge to fail, after which the adapter cannot find networks.

birdface 12:08 09 Sep 09

My Grandaughter had the same Broadcom wireless connection and we never solved the problem some times in Device manager it would show under Network Adapters and sometimes it would not ,Eventually it disappeared completely.never ever got it working again.I believe it may have been a Microsoft update that caused the problem but at the moment still not sorted.
Someone else with the same problem purchased a usb wireless dongle and worked his laptop with that.

birdface 12:36 09 Sep 09

Would a system restore to a date when it was working fix it.

tomevans00 20:20 09 Sep 09

I can find a neighbour's network but obviously can't connect due to security.

I can't do a system restore as I get "an unspecified error prevented System Restore" message after reboot.

I'm not sure if it an update issue either - nothing in my house can connect wirelessly (phone, games consoles or desktop)

I don't have a USB adapter. I'm just left a bit puzzled. could it be my router aerial or something is knackered?

tomevans00 17:40 10 Sep 09

well the mystery is solved - something was interfering with the broadcast channel so i changed the settings on the router to a different channel and it works fine now!

birdface 20:58 10 Sep 09

Well done.And thanks for letting us know how you fixed it.No doubt that it will help others with the same problem.
If you are happy that it is working Ok.Remember to tick the square and press resolved.

birdface 20:59 10 Sep 09

Sorry you already did that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant