Can connect to network but no data flow...

Lightchop 09:46 02 Nov 05

Running a wireless network (no router, just using a wireless pci card in the main PC as an internet gateway (adhoc connection)). Been running fine for ages, any new laptop entering the house can log on straight away.

Had a new PC delivered today for one of the kids, with wifi card pre-installed. On booting, the new PC sees the network and connects to it no problem. From that point, zilch happens - the WLAN stats show some packets being sent, but none received. Essentially, the new PC is blindfolded, no shared files or printers visible (yes, it's enabled) and no internet connection. I've compared all the TCP/IP settings with a working laptop (all machines on XP SP2) and cannot see any differences. In desperation, uninstalled the wireless card from the new PC, fit a known working one and its software, and it's still just the same. Any suggestions would be appreciated (don't really fancy spending hours on the phone to a helpline who ultimatly might not have a clue either!).

mgmcc 11:56 02 Nov 05

What IP addresses do the two "client" PCs get from the "host" (which presumably has 192.168.0.1)?

Has any firewall software been updated to allow access to the IP address of the new PC?

I have seen it suggested in these forums (though I remain to be convinced) that Internet Connection Sharing via an Ad Hoc wireless network only supports one "client" PC. In any case, this wouldn't explain your inability to see shared folders and you say that visiting laptops have access OK.

You could try allocating a fixed IP address to the new PC and enter the Host's address for the Default Gateway and the DNS server.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now