can computers tell where in the world they are???

Cammycammymad 13:08 31 Oct 10

I am thinking of creating a website which is slightly like Google maps but you can see your current position. However, for this to work I need computers to know where they are very accurately. Can computers do this? Can they even make a rough guess?

Cammycammymad 13:14 31 Oct 10

I've just found that some websites appear to be able to guess where you are. I just visited one that said: "You are in the UK. Do you want to view the UK version of this site???". Could this website have got it more accurate?

northumbria61 13:15 31 Oct 10

Referring to Amazon perhaps ?

Cammycammymad 13:16 31 Oct 10

Cammycammymad 13:18 31 Oct 10

does amazon do it as well?

GaT7 13:18 31 Oct 10

Computer locations depend on unique IP addresses click here, & the location of one's ISP to some extent. There are already many such websites around - see click here / click here / click here for example. As you may find out they aren't very accurate, but they can make a fairly good guess. G

Cammycammymad 13:20 31 Oct 10

so they work it out from your IP address???

lotvic 13:21 31 Oct 10

On your pc there is a setting called 'Regional and Language Options' at the bottom you set your 'Location' This is something you set up yourself either when you install an operating system and/or when you first start up a newly delivered pre-installed pc.

I am surprised you didn't know that.

Cammycammymad 13:23 31 Oct 10

one of the sites you recommended was correct and told me I live in London, but the other 2 said I live in Bradford for some reason!!!

GaT7 13:23 31 Oct 10

'so they work it out from your IP address?'

Yes, that's right. G

Woolwell 13:24 31 Oct 10

See click here about Firefox geolocation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…