Can CD R/W/RW drives read DVDs?

Alan2 20:46 16 Oct 03

I am in the market for a new drive - currently having a CD/DVD read only drive - and I've been looking at the PCA best buy MSI CR52-A2.

It does appear to be able to do everything I think I want wrt CDs but no mention is made in any DVD read capability.

Is this so with all these drives?

Or, am I missing something?

Alan.

mark500 20:52 16 Oct 03

No it doesn't read dvd.

leo49 20:52 16 Oct 03

You can get CDRW drives that also read DVD's - the sony and samsung ones spring to mind.

eg click here

Jester2K II 20:56 16 Oct 03

LG and many others make "combo" drives (combined DVD & CDRW) but a CDRW without the DVD-ROM logo won't read DVD.

Alan2 21:03 16 Oct 03

You've helped me a lot there - especially Leo with the link.

I note speeds are slightly down on the CD only drives - but who'll notice?

I can shop shop around with the key word "Combo".

06keldt 21:05 16 Oct 03

They cannot read DVD's because they are compressed in a different way to Cds.
You can get a combo, but i would opt for a dvd/cd read only drive as you all ready have a Cd-R/RW so just replace your Cd-Rom with a DVD-Rom and a Software Decoder (usually included in the DVD package).

I hope my idvice was any use.

Alan2 21:14 16 Oct 03

I think you've misunderstood. My current drive is CD/DVD read only and I want to be able to burn CDs and watch the odd movie.

So, as I understand it the combo is just what I want.

Alan.

Jester2K II 21:23 16 Oct 03

How many drives can you have because it would be cheaper and more reliable to keep the current DVD Drive and ADD a CDRW.

Combo drives are quite expensive and also seem to suffer in reliability - i seem to replace a lot of them for clients...

leo49 21:46 16 Oct 03

Got to agree with the Jester - you can get a top-spec 52x writer for less than half the price of a combo - assuming you've got a spare ide and space in your case.

Alan2 21:47 16 Oct 03

I have a problem with the current drive in that it doesn't read DVDs anymore as I think in a vain attempt to fix a problem I used up all the region code options.

So I just wanted to get a new one primarily to burn CDs but as a very very low priority read DVDs.

But to answer your question I also have an Iomega Zip drive on the same IDE cable but I can't now remember when I last used this and it would certainly be redundant when I fit a new CD drive.

I take your point about reliability and ponder a while and may perhaps just go for a CD only option.

Incidentally are current DVD drives still cursed by the region codes?

Thanks for the input.

Jester2K II 21:59 16 Oct 03

There are "region free" drives. Some need a firmware flash and some don't. Someone else can advise as i don't know enough other than they DO exist.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…