can a cd or floppy carry/transfer the infection ?

p;3 23:14 15 May 05

a poser for you all; if an HJT log is recorded onto a cd or floppy from a known-to-be infected machine; will/can the infection on the machine somehow transfer itself to the cd or floppy, infect the floppy and use the floppy or cd as a carrier to another pc and infect the other pc when the cd or floppy is read ?

does that way of asking that make sense?

and if it does, how can it be prevented from infecting the receiving/reading pc?

woodchip 23:17 15 May 05

YES YES YES

woodchip 23:21 15 May 05

If you copy anything from the disc that's how it would infect it

gudgulf 23:27 15 May 05

If that is a worry to you why not make a print out of the log......to the best of my knowledge no computer malware can be transmitted by the printed page :o))

dan11 23:30 15 May 05

Totally agree. That is why the likes of AVG and the rest have the function to scan c\d's or floppy's to check for infections.

Copied versions of windows c\d's were notorious for having nasties in them and it is sensible to check any disk written on another machine before using it.

Number 7 23:43 15 May 05

As far as I know, to infect a computer soley by inserting an infected floppy disk and having a look at the contents isn't possible.

It's possible to infect the machine from a CD containing the infected files if Auto run is enabled- but the infection will have to be of a specific type to take advantage of Auto run.

At the end of the day, any virus/trojan/malware must be executable by the target operating system ie: .exe .scr. vbs etc.

A HijackThis log is a plain text file, and as such isn't executable by the OS- it's treated as data.

Personally, I'd have no worries about transferring a HJT log from an infected machine to my machine.

p;3 09:26 18 May 05

re-reading Number7"s response above; is not running anything from a cd or floppy from a known to be infected pc "asking for trouble", as the infection is then on that cd or floppy; and I think that that also was how I got my recent infection:)

I think I have to agree that the infection can transfer across, so you risk infecting your own pc:(

p;3 09:32 18 May 05

sorry; a double-negative has intervened; "is not running anything" should read "surely running anything " ::((

but from where I picked up that infection to get it on that floppy disc remains a mystery:(

Dart Echo 09:57 18 May 05

'can a cd or floppy carry/transfer the infection ?'

Oh yes!!!

I once transfered files from my machine using AVG to a friend's machine installed with PC-Cillin. PC-Cillin picked up an infection as soon as the file landed and it transpired I'd had this infection on my machine for a while.

No prizes for guessing which AV I use now.

DieSse 10:24 18 May 05

Whilst it's trus that a virus will almost certainly not infect a text file, such as a HJT log - it's what else could be transferred to the floppy by a virus that is the danger.

However, if the system that the floppy is put into has a good quality AV, and runs a scan on the floppy before anything else is done with it - then the possibility of transferring an infection is as close to zero as you could get.

Number 7 20:23 18 May 05

Quote by p;3:

"re-reading Number7's response above; surely running anything from a cd or floppy from a known to be infected pc is asking for trouble."

Yes, it is, if you RUN it- ie: EXECUTE the instructions contained in the file.

It won't just spontaneously run of its accord.

Placing an infected floppy disk in the drive of a "clean" Windows PC and simply looking at the files on the disk WILL NOT transfer the infection- whether those files are executable or not.

On a "clean" Windows PC, the default file extensions are as explained here click here

It explains about e-mail, but the principle applies to all malware, and as far as .txt or .log files go, it's correct.

That is, on a "clean" Windows PC a .txt or .log file is simply data and, in itself, CANNOT harm a computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…