Can BT basic broadband work with wireless router?

Griffon 19:38 04 May 05

Has anybody tried using a wireless broadband modem router with BT's basic broadband package? BT imply on their web pages that wireless is not available for use with their basic package but I can't see why it would not work in principle. BT have been less than informative when I've asked them. Their support staff either "don't know" or haven't got back to me to "let me know" as promised. I'm now in a quandary. I'm not sure whether to go out and buy a wireless modem router and simply try it. (And should I try a BT modem or another supplier's?) I don't really want to upgrade to the BT's next most expensive service if I don't have to. Any ideas? [I have a new notebook running XP and us BT "wired" broadband with BT's Voyager modem.]

tomsdad 20:24 04 May 05

I used to use a router on BT Basic broadband no problem, tomsdad.

Griffon 20:57 04 May 05

thanks tomsdad. What modem did you use out of interest?

tomsdad 21:52 04 May 05

I used a BT Voyager 2100, not the cheapest but one of the easiest to set up, I had it up and running in five minutes, tomsdad.

tomsdad 21:55 04 May 05

I used a BT Voyager 2100, not the cheapest but one of the easiest to set up, I had it up and running in five minutes, tomsdad.

For info, my Dad got similar response from BT. With my encouragement he pressed ahead and is delighted with his wireless connection on the basic BT package. I think he used Linksys and got help from them (very helpful he said) with set up. This was after getting nowhere with preliminary enquiries with BT on their premium rate lines!

Griffon 22:46 04 May 05

Thanks. That's all very encouraging. If I were cynical (LOL), I might suspect BT of misleading customers to upgrade to a more expensive package unnecessarily. Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…