Can a Broadband modem be used on a standard BTline

livio_coccia 21:44 13 Nov 03

Does anyone know, if it's possible to use a broadband modem on a standard BT line without subscribing to a Broardband provider ,but getting all the benefits from it? i:e bandwidth, higher data pass.
If this was possible, would it mean you could still keep your Dial-up ISP?

On the other-hand, if this isn't possible, are there any ISP who don't mind if you purchase your
own modem, and, that you are not tied to there's or have to pay for one they provide, or as part of a connection deal in any way.

There was also an article in PCAdvisor, regarding
modem packet size's and MUT settings for Broadband modems, do these actions and settings apply to normal 56k modems aswell, given the values for those settings being different, and would you gain the same benefits from the changes.

And last but not least....,
does anyone know of a reliable and proven free utility, to optimise a Fujitsu Siemens laptop 56k modem wich would produce results as stated above.

Any help would be greatful

regards

Fr0z3n 22:04 13 Nov 03

"Does anyone know, if it's possible to use a broadband modem on a standard BT line without subscribing to a Broardband provider ,but getting all the benefits from it? i:e bandwidth, higher data pass"

You wish lol.

Fr0z3n 22:06 13 Nov 03

if your getting 5-6.5 ish kb/s on a 56k modem then its basically maxed out. The total maximum for a 56k is 7kb/s if the line was perfect and the server was very close.

Yes of course it can! Just plug it in and off you go. You will be amazed at the speed.

VoG II 22:07 13 Nov 03

I'm pretty sure that the answer to all of your questions in "no", sorry.

Dipso 22:09 13 Nov 03

1. No, you can't use an ADSL modem to connect to dial-up.

2. Yes, there are plenty of ISP's who let you connect with existing hardware.
click here for more info.

3. You can tweak your MTU settings to improve speed etc. of a dial-up connection. You are tweaking defaults set on your PC not your modem. However, BT have addressed some of these issues themselves so tweaks may or may not make a difference. You should do a baseline before you do any tweaks to see if they make a difference.

4. Sorry can't help.

DieSse 22:12 13 Nov 03

Since most ISPs now give a free modem when you subscribe, it really doesn't matter whether you already have a modem or not - best to use theirs really - then at lesst you know it's going to work without any fancy setting up!!

An ADSL modem will only work on an ADSL activated line, which is only done when you subscribe to an ISP.

Dipso 22:18 13 Nov 03

I have given you some links to tweaking. They are mainly geared towards ADSL.
A guide to tweaksclick here
A tweaking tool click here
More info click here

spuds 22:28 13 Nov 03

If you purchase and use your own selected modem, then you may have a problem getting any connection problems sorted out.Best to use one provided by the ISP, especially when they are 'free'.

Mad Mick 23:05 13 Nov 03

DieSse is right. When I started with BT Broadband the connection charge and modem came to around £140. Now it's free!!!

Migwell 00:30 14 Nov 03

Who was it that said there was no sutch a thing as a free lunch OR modem if you prefer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…