CAN ARCHIVEUS VIRUS GET IN TO USB HARD DRIVE

ARTY DAN 10:07 18 Jun 06

I'm sure you have heard about the nurse who had her files hijacked using the archiveus virus, I was thinking of buying a USB portable hard drive so I could back up everything to it, and just have programs nothing else on the computers hard drive, have nothing anywhere on the computer everything would be stored on the portable hard drive. I put in to google can archiveus virus get in to usb portable hard drive.Part of an answer in a forum came up. This is it.

I don't mean to sound high-and-mighty, but why didn't she restore her latest backup?

Let me guess...she didn't have one. £100 will buy you two external USB hard disks which you can alternate on a weekly/monthly basis to backup. Its not difficult. I don't blame her. I blame the computer shop that sold her the computer or the friend/relative who advised her which computer to buy.

I was wondring if I buy A USB PORTABLE HARD DRIVE then will the archiveus virus be able to get in to that or can it only infect the computer it self, I do have MACAFEE anti virus and firewall and are regurlarly updated.

Can anyone advise it is not only for me but for everyone I know who has a computer.

ARTYDAN

Taff™ 10:47 18 Jun 06

A virus can reside in any Hard Disk. The trick is to prevent it getting onto your computer in the first place and you would seem to have sufficient protection. As long as you don`t open any suspicious attachments or visit dubious websites you should be OK.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:58 18 Jun 06

A virus can reside in any drive/floppy disk or system restore files as can a Trojan. What the over publicised person had was a Trojan that SHE executed and it did not take any of her files but merely blocked access. It did not phone home, steal her details, steal her identity or any of the many suppositions that our Aesop-like press insinuated.

Like all Trojans/viruses it is very easy to remove with a bit of common sense, that is usually lacking when they are triggered. A decent free AV and windows defender will stop most but if you execute an attachment no amount of firewalls, AV, anti-spyware will protect you.

G

gudgulf 11:37 18 Jun 06

The trick with an external drive is to only connect it (or switch it on ) when you are making a backup.
The best policy is to keep the drive seperate from the main pc.....only bring it out and connect up to make a backup.

If the drive is always connected and powered up then any files on it are at the same risk as files on the main pc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…