can anyone recommend a good graphics card upgrade

whichpc4me 22:21 18 Jan 09

I've recently installed Vista on my second P.C which I want to use for editing video content using Movie Maker.
However, my graphics card is old amd unable to run Movie Maker. It is a 128Mb Ati Radeon 9200 agp card.
My PC has an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ processor and it has a Gigabyte GA-7VT600-L moherboard.
I don't want to spend a lot of money on a top of the range card which the PC cannot handle, and I use my new PC for most things anyway, so all I'm looking for is a cheaper type of card which is compatible so that I can run Movie Maker with Windoes Vista.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Jim_F 00:11 19 Jan 09

The nvidia 6600 series are good value and will work (I ran this under Vista until it the card overheated) but anything over the 5200 supports DX9 which I think is what you need. Memory is not important as this is for games textures.

But please bear in mind that your second system will still be slow for video work as this needs lots of system memory and fast hard disks as well.

You would also need to check that you have some headroom on your PSU as the more powerful cards use a lot more power.

GaT7 00:41 19 Jan 09

Movie Maker (MM) requirements are quite basic click here. That's for XP, but they look similar for Vista click here.

The above link mentions getting 'another version of MM', but I think the graphics to have at the moment should be fine. As Jim_F mentions, "but anything over the 5200 supports DX9 which I think is what you need."

Just make sure the cards drivers are installed properly (get the latest if you have to), & also that the DirectX features: DirectDraw, Direct3D, etc are enabled click here. G

whichpc4me 14:37 19 Jan 09

Many thanks Jim & Crossbow for your helpful advice. Unfortunately ATI don't have a driver update for use with Vista.
I thought about installing the alternative version of Movie Maker which should run o.k with what I've got, but I think that I'll have to consider buying a better card such as those you've mentioned.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now