Can anyone recommend a good free e-mail provider?

splinternet 22:40 11 Jan 04

I've just transferred from AOL BB to BT BB and now need to set up an e-mail account. The criteria I'm hoping to abide by: (1) I don't want a web-based one (e.g. Yahoo) where every click goes across the internet, but rather one where you can download mail and attachments for "offline" working before initiating another send/receive. (2) I want to be able to use Outlook as the user interface. (3) It must be free.

Does anything satisfy all three of the above?

Mike ® 23:07 11 Jan 04
  Mike ® 23:11 11 Jan 04

The hotpop webserver appears to be down at the moment, but there email (pop3) server hardly ever is. They also have a free mail forwarding service.

Pesala 23:34 11 Jan 04

click here Follow the link from Services, Home Access, to sign up for a free trial. You get email addresses with the free trial.

splinternet 23:55 11 Jan 04

Pesala - I'm already with an ISP (BT). But they don't provide e-mail - this is all I'm looking for. Can clara.net just provide me with e-mail (free)?

walesrob 00:00 12 Jan 04

Maybe you should check Yahoo again, as the email service they offer fits your criteria perfectly. I use a yahoo.co.uk email address through Outlook (Yahoo even have their own SMTP) for working offline as you describe, plus I have the added benefit of being able to access Yahoo on-line if away from my PC. It is free to use, and the spam protection is the best I've seen in any email provider.
click here

Pesala 10:50 12 Jan 04

Splinternet. Yes. I am with NTL Home Broadband, but I still have a claranet trial account. If my broadband fails completely, I would also still have pay as you go dial-up internet access.

Jester2K 11:11 12 Jan 04

"I'm already with an ISP (BT). But they don't provide e-mail"

What package is that then??

Djohn 11:47 12 Jan 04

click here I think it's this one jester. Basic Broadband without any email facilities. I can't see the benefit of going this way though, unless I've missed something! j.

Jester2K 11:59 12 Jan 04

Me neither!

Agree with Walesrob, if Yahoo suits your needs its excellent

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…