Can anyone recommend a free duplicate file finder?

WhiteTruckMan 11:03 AM 03 Jun 12

Hi all.

Irritation (and dwindling storage space) has finally overcome inertia and I am going to have a clear out of my systems. One of the problems I face is the habit of making backups onto another hard drive, after suffering a loss a few years back. As my backup drive became full, I would upgrade to a larger drive, copy eveything across and carry on as normal. Over the years this has resulted in multiple copies of a great many files spread over a large number of probably redundant drives across my home network (backups werent limited to my local machine)

What I'm after is a recommendation preferably from personal use of a small free program that will survey my system (network drives can be imported later) and list files that are both duplicate in filename and filesize. The latter because of my bad habit of downloading images direct from a camera and keeping the default file name. For example, on my local machine I have 1712 copies of the filename DSC00001. A good number of them duplicates (and duplicates of duplicates). And thats just one filename.

Any ideas?

spuds 11:11 AM 03 Jun 12

Perhaps you might find something here

I haven't personally tried or used any of the suggestions, but something there might fit the bill?.

WhiteTruckMan 11:21 AM 03 Jun 12

Thanks spuds.

A google search also turns up a fair number. It's personal knowledge of them I'm after.

northumbria61 11:50 AM 03 Jun 12

Beware ! I would be very careful using a Duplicate File Finder program unless you know exactly what you are doing and how to use it OR you could end up with some missing system files! (yes it can/does happen)

Salut 17:26 PM 03 Jun 12

I have used this one in the past:

I store a large number of photographs and occasionally have a good clear out of the duplicates.

WhiteTruckMan 21:08 PM 03 Jun 12

I'm primarily interested in ridding myself of duplicate picture and video files.

northumbria61 22:22 PM 03 Jun 12

This one should suit your needs - enter link description here

northumbria61 22:25 PM 03 Jun 12

Not totally FREE but another option enter link description here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 review: Hands-on with the new generation of Surface

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Crowdfunding for world’s first 3D camera-computer found in 30 hours

2015 iMac release date rumours, specs, price & features: new 21in 4K Retina iMacs coming next week