Can anyone help with "Watch" please

pj123 16:17 18 Jun 04

One of my pupils has just rung me to say, “My computer has just ground to a halt.”

He was in the middle of doing his staff wages, using Sage and Excel. While in Excel he got a window pop-up with a Red X and the word “Watch”. The window cannot be closed and, although the mouse still moves around the screen nothing works. Ctrl, Alt, Del brings up the Task Manager but he can’t End Task, Shutdown or Cancel.

His only option is to switch off and reboot. He also said that while he was working on it he thought it was getting slower and slower before finally stopping altogether.

He’s not a happy bunny because he lost all the work just done. O/S is Win 98SE.

He has only got AVG – no Adaware, Spybot etc. Is Watch a virus or spyware? Has anyone else had this? I tried a search but couldn’t find anything. He is away for two weeks now and is dropping his PC in to me so that I can check it.

spuds 17:28 18 Jun 04

Did a quick Google search, and it came up with these two bits of info, which may not be of any assistance in solving the problem!. click here click here

pj123 18:24 18 Jun 04

Thanks, spuds. Could be of some use. But as I was teaching when he rang so I couldn't go and see for myself. Have to wait now until he drops his PC off to me and I will then give it a thorough check. I also plan to put Adaware, Spybot and Spywareblaster on it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…