Can anyone help me how to use my laptop with my pc

peter421 16:11 12 Dec 05

Hello,I Have bought my son a laptop for christmas,I want it to share my pc broadband internet,The lap top is enabled for wireless conection? can anyone help me with
1. what do I need to buy so the laptop can share my internet connection.

2. will my security suite on my pc protect the laptop when it joines my computer.

many thanks

Skills 16:26 12 Dec 05

OK to share your connection wirelessly you will need to purchase a wireless router with a built in ADSL modem if you're using an ADSL connection that is.

As the laptop will connect to the internet through the router and not through your PC it will need to have its own protection. The free ones will be more than suffcient AV my choice avast or theres AVG and zonealarm for a firewall.

Gongoozler 16:28 12 Dec 05

Hi peter421. To connect the laptop to the pc, if both have ethernet (10/100) ports is a cat5e crossover cable such as this one click here

woodchip 16:28 12 Dec 05

What Modem Have you got at the moment? it may say on the bottom of modem

Gongoozler 16:31 12 Dec 05

Sorry, my suggestion is for wired connection, Skills is answering your question about wireless connection.

sharkfin 16:35 12 Dec 05

If your going to be using a router, third party firewalls aren't nessesary as it acts like one anyway. But having firewall software is good for monitoring whats going in and out.

I would recommend the Netgear Super wireless ADSL modem/router. It comes with a USB wireless adapter too so you can connect your PC wirelessly too.

If your laptop is Centrino or has Wifi built in then you dont need any further hardware for it. If it isnt, then you will need a WiFi/wireless card/usb dongle.

woodchip 16:40 12 Dec 05

We need to know what you have Modem wise before making suggestions. Is it USB or Ethernet and Model?

peter421 22:01 12 Dec 05

I have a wannadoo broadband external modem if that helps,thanks for all the replys

woodchip 22:02 12 Dec 05

Yes but does it plug into USB?

peter421 22:09 12 Dec 05

yes it connects to the usb

martjc 22:15 12 Dec 05

...I've replaced one before. You will need a modem/router (make sure you get the right one of two types - ADSL or CABLE). Read the manual that comes with it, especially the setup part. Replace the existing modem with the new one. Follow the setup procedure exactly - be very careful here, this is where many people slip up. Details must be exactly right - your user name and password. Then the new modem should jump into life and you can use your wireless link right away.

But don't forget to read up on security - you don't want other people logging onto your network!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…