Can anyone help with aprtitioning w/in windows

rickf 19:56 02 May 03

Hi All,
I have a 80g h/d and 30g is used an drive is therefore C. I want to create a second partition and make the h/d into C and D. Can I do this from w/in windows by going into diskmgmt.msc? Once there how do I partition the drive? Do I select change or add in the Change Directory and Path dialogue box? Will lose data in drive C? I need step by step help if poss. Thanks for your patience.

rickf 19:58 02 May 03

Sorry, it should read partitioning.

rickf 20:07 02 May 03

Refresh!

rickf 20:07 02 May 03

Refresh!

zanwalk 20:15 02 May 03

Which operating system are you using? In XP, if you go to Disk Management, a wizard will guide you through the steps to create a partition, if earlier versions of Windows you will need to do it from DOS with a start up disk.

Lú-tzé 20:17 02 May 03

Get Partition Magic 8 which will do it easiest and best.

I don't know of any simplier way; certainly it is non destructive.

Lú-tzé 20:18 02 May 03

OK, go with what Rayburn says - I did not know it could be done within Windows XP.

zanwalk 20:25 02 May 03

click here

Also, please bear in mind that there are no guarantees when partitioning, and it is absolutely vital to ensure that all important data is backed up. This is even true of Partition Magic, as the manufacturers recommend that your data is backed up.

rickf 21:48 02 May 03

Thanks people. Rayburn, I am runnign Win XP Pro. I got as far as the dialogue box where I had to choose beteen add or change. I did not know what to choose as I was afraid of doing the wrong thing and losing my os. Also I assume that since the whole of C was formatted, I would not have to format the partitions again.

zanwalk 23:02 02 May 03

If you read what 'the village idiot' and 'ellas' posted in the thread I linked to, you should find that everything is straightforward. Windows will always ask for confirmation of any command like 'format', so as long as you check which drive it is first you will be ok. You won't be able to format 'C' from within Windows anyway as it is the partition you are operating from, the only way to do this would be from the Windows CD.

temp003 05:16 03 May 03

I use Windows 2000. The interface may be slightly different, but things should work roughly in the same way.

This will not affect your C drive.

Open Disk Management. If you use Run diskmgmt.msc to open it, the window should be divided into top and bottom sections. The bottom section should show a "graphical" view of your drives (hard disk, CD ROMs).

Disk 0 is your first hard disk. It should show a coloured box with your Drive C (with a description like 30GB NTFS [or FAT] Healthy, System). There should be another box with a different colour taking up the rest of Disk 0. It should be called Free Space, or Unallocated Space.

If you don't see such a graphical view, click View on the top menu, select Bottom, and choose Graphical View.

To create a further partition, right click the Free Space coloured box, and you should see a list of options.

There should be an option to create a partition. Ultimately you will have a choice of creating an extended partition or a primary partition. These may appear on the right click list, or may appear later after you select create a new partition.

Normally your XP C partition is the only primary partition you need. I suggest therefore you choose to create an extended partition. If you do so, make sure you select the whole of the remaining disk space to create the extended partition. Follow the prompts. Click OK and so on.

Creating the extended partitionn should take no time. Then back on the graphical interface, right click the box for the extended partition, which will still be free space, and select create logical drive, and follow the prompts.

If you want only one big logical drive to take up the whole of the free space, specify the max amount of disk space. Otherwise, specify a smaller figure.

You will be be asked whether you want to format it. Do so, and select the right file system.

After you make the choice, the window will close and go back to the graphical interface. Wait, and have a look at the new box for the new partition. At first it may seem nothing is happening, but in due course you will see the percentage of the formatting process. Wait till it is finished, then you can close Disk Management and use the new partition.

Your CD ROM or one of them should be your drive D now. If you want the new partition to be called D, you need to change the drive letter of the CD drives first to later letters which are free to use (e.g. drive X), and change or assign the letter D to the new partition.

You can change the letter of any drive by right clicking the drive in Disk Management and select change drive letter and path.

You can change the drive letter of the CD ROM before creating the new partition, then when you create the new partition, the letter D will be available for assigning to the new partition. Or else, you can do it afterwards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now