Can any body help with this jargon!!!

knobler 15:56 02 Oct 04

The guys at Lavasoft (Adaware) told me to do this.

What's cleaning and I'm not sure exactly what files to delete etc. They're really nice but in the end told me to get a copy windows XP for dummies LOL!!!!!

Details are below:

To clean your machine, it is highly recommended that you clean the following directory contents (but not the directory folder):
* C:\Windows\Temp* C:\Documents and Settings\ Your Profile>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\ =This will delete all your cached internet content including cookies. This is recommended and strongly suggested.
* C:\Documents and Settings\ Your Profile>\Local Settings\Temp* C:\Documents and Settings\ Any other users Profile>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files* C:\Documents and Settings\ Any other users Profile>\Local Settings\Temp* Empty your "Recycle Bin".

Then, please shutdown the PC and restart in 'safe mode' ( Starting your computer in Safe mode ).
Launch Ad-Aware SE and run a full scan. When the scan has completed, select Next. In the Scanning Results window, select the "Scan Summary" tab. Check the box next to each "target family" you wish to remove. Click next, Click OK.

Please shutdown/restart your computer after removal, run a new full scan and post the results as a reply.

VoG II 16:01 02 Oct 04

Clean out those folders easily using CleanUp! click here

To start in Safe Mode click here

knobler 16:07 02 Oct 04

Hi VoG - spoke to you last night - do you ever get any sleep!

My wife hates this PC!!

I'll download the software but am a bit wary as id it's aok -sounds silly but...........

VoG II 16:08 02 Oct 04

It is fine - I use it myself.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:09 02 Oct 04

Temporary File Cleaners:-
Crap Cleaner click here will clear folders as suggested by LAvasoft

Using Adaware SE double click icon --click 'start' button on SE and wait till finished When scan complete click 'next'will then show objects found.

If in red then definately tick the box (critical)

If in green then tick to stop other usrs from seeing you usage history not critical)or leave if unticked to leave lists of previous used documents etc.

press 'next' objects will be removed click 'ok'

your now back to the begining just keeping doing on a regular basis while surfing.

knobler 16:42 02 Oct 04

Fruit bat - orange coloured with small red x in them - tracking - ie cache - data miner ?! are these the ones that you are refeering to as okay to delete?

Irishman 16:47 02 Oct 04

Yes

spuds 17:18 02 Oct 04

Dummies Guide click here

Another informative book:ENI Editions Straight to the Point Windows XP- Professional and Home Edition £4.99 from PC World

knobler 18:12 02 Oct 04

900 pages - Is somebody trying to get me out of this helproom - I have my suspicions that VoG is leading it!!! LOL

Thanks for the link - will try amazon for the uk price.

wee eddie 22:04 02 Oct 04

Unfortunately, you will still have to come here - it's an addiction.

Your questions will become more weird.

The problem with PCs is that the more you know the more complex things you try.

knobler 20:17 04 Oct 04

Okay this one is rumbling on and I'm taking too much of everybodies time trying to sort it out.

If I'm supposed to delete everything within these files, it seems rather hairy as some as the stuff seems to be important? Pherhaps I'm wrong:

Original message for those who have not seen it (apart from VoG and Fruitbat!)

To clean your machine, it is highly recommended that you clean the following directory contents (but not the directory folder): * C:\Windows\Temp* C:\Documents and Settings\ Your Profile>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\ =This will delete all your cached internet content including cookies. This is recommended and strongly suggested. * C:\Documents and Settings\ Your Profile>\Local Settings\Temp* C:\Documents and Settings\ Any other users Profile>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files* C:\Documents and Settings\ Any other users Profile>\Local Settings\Temp* Empty your "Recycle Bin".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…