Camera & Scanner USB conflict - help!

Carafaraday 13:53 31 Jul 03

I have sucessfully installed new software for my Canon Poweershot A70 camera and that seems to be working ok. However, my scanner is now unable to work. I get this message:-

MUSTUI caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 0177:bff87ede.
Registers:
EAX=c00301a8 CS=0177 EIP=bff87ede EFLGS=00010212
EBX=007cfe28 SS=017f ESP=006cff98 EBP=006d0004
ECX=025c40f4 DS=017f ESI=006d0420 FS=0f2f
EDX=00000001 ES=017f EDI=818643d4 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
53 56 57 8b 30 83 7d 10 01 8b 4e 38 89 4d f8 75
Stack dump:

Any suggestions welcome - I really need to get my scanner back in operation. I have tried rebooting. Unplugging the camera USB, and unplugging and replugging the scanner - all to no avail.

Help please!

john-232317 14:06 31 Jul 03

Camera usb should not affect scanner. Go into control panel,scanners and cameras, and check if scanner is there.

Try putting scanner software back in.

I have hp scanner listed, i also have hp camera on usb but not listed, both mine are ok

john-232317 14:09 31 Jul 03

Dont unplug scanner while comp is on......

Djohn 14:13 31 Jul 03

click here says it is a shared access violation, check the list for actual code. J.

Stuartli 15:15 31 Jul 03

Scanners need a powered USB connection or used with a powered USB hub, not the unpowered type.

If you only have two USB system outlets, dedicate one to the scanner and run a four/seven port powered hub from the second for your other requirements, including the camera, webcam etc.

Djohn 15:18 31 Jul 03

That's strange! My Canon LiDE50 USB2 has just the one lead. USB to rear of PC. Regards. j.

alcudia 17:01 31 Jul 03

I had a simlar problem when I tried to connect a second (film) scanner. The existing flatbad was a Canon. They would not work together. In the end the shop took the film scanner back (fortunately).
I now have a different Canon flatbed with a built in film scanner, and like you I have just bought the A70. Being wise as what had happend with Canon scanners before I did not even think of installing the camera. Jessops sell a CF card reader for £18.00. Plug this into a USB slot. It will be autodected, assuming you have XP or ME, and away you go. No problems at all.
From experience Canon products cause a lot of conflicts.
I know this dosn't help, but if you can get the scanner working again, perhaps by uninstalling the camera it gives you another option. Good Luck

Carafaraday 17:14 31 Jul 03

Thanks to all who responded.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the scanner and just got the same message.

I have now 'solved' the problem by deleting the canon file from Twain_32 and putting it on the desktop - the scanner works fine and if I copy the file from the desktop back to Twain when I need it, so does the camera - not very sophisticated but it works!

I have a card reader, Alcudia, so I'll try installing that - but won't I still want the canon software for playing with the photos? I can't just delete it all can I?

Djohn 17:33 31 Jul 03

There was a thread some time back regarding Canon A70 and XP not liking each other, saying this most people have no problem. I too did not have a problem with A70 software, my scanner is also by Canon, but did have a problem with the camera itself, 2 cameras same problem [Sticking zoom lens], so changed to a different make. I'm sure you will sort this out soon, good luck and happy photography. j.

Mango Grummit 18:13 31 Jul 03

Your reply to Stuartli re: "strange" (if you know what I mean) is sort of so-so. It would be strange on all of my machines except one.

All machines together with their varying motherboards etc. can and do perform differently.

It's one of the reasons I'm often hesitant to offer advice if the question does not come from someone using exactly the same soft/hardware/progs/OS as me.

My money here would be on a powered hub resolving this one. USB is power hungry but given the power it's sound.

M

Djohn 18:24 31 Jul 03

I meant no disrespect in any way, [Once again the written word can be mis-understood], and apologies if it came over that way.

What I was attempting to say was, my scanner works fine with a direct connection to the PC itself, along with 5 more USB connections and "Stuartli" did say that, [Scanners need a powered USB connection or used with a powered USB hub, not the unpowered type].

I think though that both yourself and Stuartli know I did not intend any offence. Regards. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…