Camera and Flash memory ????

WallyD 15:23 03 Mar 04

I have just purchased the Aldi Camera which works fine however the software provided instructs you to safely exit USB before unplugging the camera.
This camera has 32M flash memory and the camera is not switched on when connected for downloading.
Alls well but the few questions are :-does the power come fron USB,what is flash memory and is this safe exit to protect the flash mem.
I also have a Fuji which I connect and switch on and disconnect the usb without this precaution but it doesnt have flash mem.
Many thanks

Sethhaniel 15:43 03 Mar 04

a symbol in the System Tray allows you to switch off USB devices for safe removal -Windows '98 doesn't have this feature

aramis 15:51 03 Mar 04

If you do not "safely remove hardware" ( usb )you stand a chance of erasing the photos on the memory. What else it could do I am not sure,perhaps someone else could tell you.For how flash memory works click here

Stuartli 15:51 03 Mar 04

If your camera has a flashing light when you switch it to download mode, you should wait until the light goes out before connecting or disconnecting a USB cable.

You should also not delete pix files from the camera whilst connected to your system; if you do you will have to reformat the card from the camera's menu.

Sethhaniel 15:54 03 Mar 04

a warning comes up on removal of USB memory stick that it could 'crash computer' and then states it will put a safe removal icon in System Tray

Stuartli 15:55 03 Mar 04

Bit puzzled by the fact that the camera is not switched on when you download - there's usually a position on the menu control/mode switch to download files to your system.

WallyD 19:01 03 Mar 04

Thanks to all for the response
I too Stuartli was surprised that the Camera was swithed off.What I failed to mention was that the Fufi software responded as soon as I connected the Camera. Normally when operating the Fuji Camera I have to switch on as one would expect and its this reason I asked just what is flash Mem
thanks again

WallyD 19:03 03 Mar 04

Thanks for the link Aramis

Stuartli 13:44 04 Mar 04

Now I think about it, my read/write Card Reader instantly lists four removeable drives in My Computer when connected (XP Pro).....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…