Camera

Bald Eagle 08:55 04 Oct 10

My wife has offered to buy me a new camera for Xmas. Soon comes around doesn't it? We've seen one that says it has a 30X zoom. My physics is 50 years old now so can someone confirm whether or not that this means something 300 metres away would appear as if 10 metres away.

muddypaws 09:18 04 Oct 10

I assume you are referring to a stills camera, not video.
Unless you have a very steady hand I find that anything over 5X zoom you need a good built in optical stabiliser and a tripod for 10X or more
I have a Fuji S1600 15X with double stabiliser and I can just about hand hold it at 15X without blur.
Your query: That is how I understand it.

hastelloy 09:30 04 Oct 10

I'm not able to answer your question but suggest that you try the camera in a store. You may find that, at high zoom, it's impossible to hold the camera steady enough.

woodchip 09:39 04 Oct 10

300x Zoom I think this is not Optical Zoom. It's Optical Zoom you should be looking for from about 5 to 12x

300x is done using software looking blocky when in Large Zoom

Bald Eagle 09:48 04 Oct 10

This is the one we were looking at :- click here

I know from my old cheap camera that digital zoom is not very good, so at the moment I zoom until it says that digital zoom is in use and then back off until it clears back to just optical zoom.

May decide to rein in our ambitions. We tend to go for as much as possible for our money so to us 30X had got to be better than 15X. Apparently not, so thanks for the advice so far. Must admit I don't fancy getting my tripod down from the loft. May look for a monopod instead.

muddypaws 10:05 04 Oct 10

Just a quick test fot you. The furthest treetops in the normal shot are about 90- yds away.
It is raining and misty and hand held at 15X so some blur. An Olympus would no doubt do better

betterclick here

click here

jack 10:07 04 Oct 10

Even with stabilizing firmware and a tripod.
Atmospheric aberrations[heat haze] can degrade an image too.
The other aspect of Zooms is to restrict the field of view, so that action shots can be tricky, because the user cannot see what is happening out of shot.
The best compromise is best quality optics- Olympus are very good-especially the 4-3rds system
Modest telephoto/zoom.
And some powerful image manipulation software to process the image on your computer.
For review see
click here

hssutton 11:36 04 Oct 10

First of all the 30x refers to the optical zoom. The 30x is the widest aperture multiplied 30 times, in this case 28-840mm (35mm equivilent) It also has a 5x is the digital zoom.

With optical stabaliser built-in, this becomes a very handy camera to carry around.

You should be able to handhold given a little practice, assuming you do not suffer from the shakes and use a good technique. I often handhold my heavy DSLR at 500mm when shooting birds/planes. However a decent tripod would be a major benefit at long zooms.

You don't HAVE to use the full zoom, but it's there if needed. For me the biggest drawback would be the apparent lack of an eye-level viewfinder, no matter how big the scereen is it will still be a pain to see in bright sunlight.

johndrew 12:11 04 Oct 10

Working out the lens zoom.

I think these answers may give you all you need click here; failing that try this click here

hssutton 13:44 04 Oct 10

When I posted my comment I hadn't checked out whether it had an optical viewfinder, so yes the lack of this would make it almost impossible to handhold at full zoom. Making a tripod essential.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…