Camcorders - Still picture resolution

cara 23:42 28 Jan 03

Hopefully this is the right forum - not quite sure where to post as?

Slightly computer related, as I do want to download my own photos - what resolution stills can I expect to achieve resonable results?

The Camcorder I am consider (Sony DCRTV50) quotes stills as 1360 x 1020 dots size.

Thanks
Cara

Stuartli 23:49 28 Jan 03

On average camcorder resolutions range from around 0.8MP to 1.2MP because that's all that is required for video use.

You'd be better buying one of the £100 to £200 2MP still digital cameras if you want reasonable results - camcorder stills are a compromise just as short videos are on a still digital camera.

jazzypop 23:52 28 Jan 03

'Reasonable results' - in what context?

My monitor is currently at 1600 x 1200 resolution, so it would need to be stretched to fill my screen.

However, your screen may be set to 800 x 600, or 1280 x 1024 etc. etc., so a still image may be just fine when viewed on your screen.

If you are planning to print at 300 x 300 dpi (dots per inch), you will get a print a little over 4" x 3". Of course, you can stretch it to fill an A4 page, but you then end up with a very blocky print.

Video cameras, typically, do not produce high-quality still images. The resolution you quote is higher than the norm. If you want higher quality stills, buy a digital stills camera - or for occasional use, buy a £50 conventional camera, and scan the prints.

stlucia 08:52 29 Jan 03

My camera is a Panasonic NVDS15B which I think is lower resolution than you have quoted. I have printed several stills from my videos onto 150x100 (6"x4") photo paper. The quality varies according to how much the subject (or camera) was moving but, so long as you don't want to blow them up any further, I think they're very acceptable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…