camcorder-do i need card&cable?

joeltr 14:18 02 Sep 05

Following on from my last posting,concerning my canon MV830,do it wont work using usb port, what exactly do i need to capture video with this camera? do i need both? if so, does it need a special port on my pc, i am a complete novice,and i just havnt got a clue,i used the sd-card supplied with the camera and fired off a few shots, and i connected the usb cable supplied and my pc recognised them,any help please,joel.

woodchip 14:21 02 Sep 05

Yes you will need a DV cable and Card. I.E. Firewire

joeltr 14:44 02 Sep 05

sorry to sound a bit dim, but,does there have to be a special port on my pc to take the other end of the cable, thanks, joel.

john-232317 14:49 02 Sep 05

The firewire card and cable come together, fit the card into the motherboard. The cable runs from the camera to the card you have just installed.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:49 02 Sep 05

Have you loaded the Drivers? they should have been supplied on a CD with the camera.

john-232317 14:51 02 Sep 05

click here for installation instructions

joeltr 14:57 02 Sep 05

i have just got a reply on canons website, it states that usb can handle still images but they are not fast enough for video capture, thanks all, joel.

joeltr 14:59 02 Sep 05

thanks for link,joel.

john-232317 15:07 02 Sep 05

No probs, I went through it all myself ;-)

But really good fun although time consuming, I have now got a stand alone DVD recorder, It can record off vhs player and tv in real time, ie : no file converting to mpeg2 to burn the dvd.

joeltr 18:26 02 Sep 05

i wiil try to master this first i think, going for firewire tomorrow, fingers crossed, joel.

woodchip 18:57 02 Sep 05

Yes you may already Have a Firewire port looks like USB but one edge of port is round not square

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…