camcorder-do i need card&cable?

joeltr 14:18 02 Sep 05

Following on from my last posting,concerning my canon MV830,do it wont work using usb port, what exactly do i need to capture video with this camera? do i need both? if so, does it need a special port on my pc, i am a complete novice,and i just havnt got a clue,i used the sd-card supplied with the camera and fired off a few shots, and i connected the usb cable supplied and my pc recognised them,any help please,joel.

woodchip 14:21 02 Sep 05

Yes you will need a DV cable and Card. I.E. Firewire

joeltr 14:44 02 Sep 05

sorry to sound a bit dim, but,does there have to be a special port on my pc to take the other end of the cable, thanks, joel.

john-232317 14:49 02 Sep 05

The firewire card and cable come together, fit the card into the motherboard. The cable runs from the camera to the card you have just installed.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:49 02 Sep 05

Have you loaded the Drivers? they should have been supplied on a CD with the camera.

john-232317 14:51 02 Sep 05

click here for installation instructions

joeltr 14:57 02 Sep 05

i have just got a reply on canons website, it states that usb can handle still images but they are not fast enough for video capture, thanks all, joel.

joeltr 14:59 02 Sep 05

thanks for link,joel.

john-232317 15:07 02 Sep 05

No probs, I went through it all myself ;-)

But really good fun although time consuming, I have now got a stand alone DVD recorder, It can record off vhs player and tv in real time, ie : no file converting to mpeg2 to burn the dvd.

joeltr 18:26 02 Sep 05

i wiil try to master this first i think, going for firewire tomorrow, fingers crossed, joel.

woodchip 18:57 02 Sep 05

Yes you may already Have a Firewire port looks like USB but one edge of port is round not square

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

What’s happening in VR right now: From psychedelic art to combat therapy

Siri not working? Try these troubleshooting fixes