Calling Software Techies

cleet the don 19:40 21 May 07

I have a lot of cleaners/optimizers that do a very good job of keeping my PC running smoothly. Only problem is I have a heck of a load of programs all vying for space on my desktop. The "all programs" section now virtually fills my 22 inch screen and making my PC slow. Is it possible to burn some of these programs to CD/DVD and run the program I need from that. I obviously don't mean the likes of my antivirus, just things like CCeaner, file recovery and the like, to make a sort of toolbox disk.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:44 21 May 07

Get an external HD and transfer all your programmes to that. You really only need to run Ccleaner and your syware prog once a week. Anything more is total overkill. You can also buy Acronis and copy your HD tot eh external disk. You can run progs from an HD with no discernible loss of speed.

G

woodchip 20:23 21 May 07

Most if not all on your Desktop are only shortcut's to the programs. The things that slow your computer are Programs that start at Boot that does not need to start, these can be started when you need them. The items near the clock are some of the programs that start. You can stop them booting using MSCONFIG type the above in the Run box then press Enter go to Startup Tab, yu will see long list of box's with a tick in the box. removing the tick stops it running at boot, it does not remove the Program or stop you from starting it after as and when you need to.
click here

A list of some programs

click here

cleet the don 17:19 22 May 07

Thanks for that folks, gives me something to work on

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced