Calling all SLi experts!

Arthur Scrimshaw 14:13 01 Sep 07

I currently have a 8800gts 320 mb card on a MSI 650i motherboard, with the intention of adding a second graphics card soon. I understand that I have to use a similar (same?)spec card, but I have two questions. I seem to remember someone in the forums stating that if you use Sli you can only access the video memory of one card, ie if two 320mb cards are fitted in Sli the total video memory remains at 320mb (rather than the combined 620mb)- is this true?
secondly, can I fit another 8800gts card but use the 640mb version, and have more video memory available? or won't it work at all?
I've trawled the Nvidia site but I haven't found answers to these questions
TIA

Arthur Scrimshaw 14:14 01 Sep 07

620 mb = 640mb

citadel 17:51 01 Sep 07

I would wait till xmas and get a 9800gtx or gts and sell the 8800gts. 9800gtx is said to be twice as fast as 8800gtx.

Pine Man 19:01 01 Sep 07

I have an SLi card and was going to double up my mediocre graphics card. The advice I was given was that I would be better off installing one decent card, with the added benefit of only half the noise! Don't forget if you fit an additional card you have an additional fan going and the drain on your PSU is probably higher than a single card.

Arthur Scrimshaw 10:17 02 Sep 07

certainly I will look at all alternatives before I decide, but I was interested to find out the answers to my original questions.

hzhzhzhz 10:29 02 Sep 07

anything here to help?.click here

Arthur Scrimshaw 18:05 03 Sep 07

Thanks - I check it out, as in most things it apears it is not a straightforward situation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017