Calling all eSATA experts!

jimmynugent86 13:51 15 Feb 09

Ive recently purchased an eSATA external hard drive but currently dont have a port on my PC. Is there a difference in transfer speeds if I opt for the cheaper option of getting and eSATA backplate (approx £5) compared to a eSATA pci card (approx £20)?? Also, a lot of sites refer to 1.5gig/s as 150mb/s but surely it would be 1500mb/s??

Any help would be really appreciated!

Technotiger 14:20 15 Feb 09

Providing your mobo has eSATA capabilities, I would go for the backplate, though I am only guessing, not having done it myself, that you would probably not notice any great difference in speed.

Technotiger 14:21 15 Feb 09
  MCE2K5 19:14 15 Feb 09

With the eSATA pci card (approx £20), I can get on average 55 meg per sec on a Vista Computer, To an average on 44 meg per sec with USB2.

gazzaho 19:37 15 Feb 09

I would imagine a backplate would require an internal SATA port to plug into whereas a pci card would plug into a pci slot and not require an internal SATA port, the pci card may also have more than one eSATA port in order to connect more than one drive. I would also imagine the speed would be the same in either case as both are using SATA for transfer.

I've no idea about speeds, but I do know that they are never as fast as the makers claim.

gazzaho 19:44 15 Feb 09

I may not have explained it well enough, a backplate converts an internal SATA port to an external one, say from 4 internal to 3 internal and 1 external, while a pci card would allow you to add more SATA ports to the computer, say from 4 internal to 4 internal and 2 external.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…