Call of Duty4 for PC. Unable to fully load, error.

LAP 09:28 21 Nov 07

Having installed the game, attempted to play and got the following error report 'DirectX encountered an unrecoverable error'.

So I downloaded DirectX 9.0 and also updated my Nvidia drivers.

I was then able to choose a new game 'SAS' this then loads up to about 7/8 and the screen freezes. At this point 'Soap MacTavish 22nd SAS' is shown on the screen.

THEN it states ‘ DIRECT3DDEVICE9:: Present failed: driver internal error’

Any ideas, please?

I have not had any problems with Call of Duty or Call of Duty2. These have been uninstalled.
Computer system more than meets the minimum requirements.
I have also sent an email to the Support Activision help line on the 16 Nov as yet no reply. I have checked their forum support site nothing has appeared there yet either.

Thank you.

RobCharles1981 09:50 21 Nov 07

Does this game meet the requirements for the game by any chance, tell us what graphics card you have?

LAP 10:51 21 Nov 07

Thanks for the reply. My graghics card is: GeForce 7800 GS 256mb.

RobCharles1981 10:59 21 Nov 07

See if there are any patches for the game it's worth a shot. What is the system requirements for the game in question?

Totally-braindead 11:45 21 Nov 07

Also go into CONTROL PANEL, SYSTEM, HARDWARE and DEVICE MANAGER and see if theres any exclamation marks.
Also goto START, RUN and type DXDIAG that willl run diagnostic tests on you graphics etc and report any faults.
It might be something as simple as needing the graphics driver updated.

LAP 11:50 21 Nov 07

Supported OS: Windows XP or Windows® Vista
Processor: 2.6 GHz Pentium® IV or equivalent (3.2 GHz recommended for Vista)
RAM: 1024 MB (1536 MB recommended for Vista)
Video Card: DirectX® 9-compliant Shader 3.0 card with 128 MB of DDR Video Memory (256 MB recommended) AGP 8x or PCI-Express x16
Sound Card: 16-bit DirectX® 9-compliant sound card (PC audio solution containing Dolby® Digital Live required for Dolby Digital Audio)

DirectX® Version: DirectX® 9.0c (XP) DirectX® 10.0 (Vista)
DVD-ROM: 8x DVD-ROM or faster
Hard Drive Space: 8 GB (recommended 600 MB space left over for Windows® swap file)
Multiplay: 512 Kbps upstream or faster
Supported Chipsets at time of release: NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6/7/8 Families or ATI Radeon X800 or higher.

LAP 13:13 21 Nov 07

Have checked device manager. The only ! is against 'Conexant Setup API'

Run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool as you suggested and everything is ok.

Just tried to run the game again and this time half way through the load up it states 'DIRECTX encountered an unrecoverable error'

I've been and downloaded DirectX again. Tried to run the game again and still got the same answer.

Thanks for you time so far. Anymore suggestions?

phoenix198 13:44 21 Nov 07

Time consuming, but you could try the following:

1. Uninstall COD4
2. Download and install the latest drivers for your graphics card, sound card and motherboard.
3. Reinstall DirectX9.0c
4. Reinstall COD4

If no joy then, try the following:

5. Make sure all unnecessary background tasks have been closed.

and finally:

6. Try setting the hardware acceleration for your sound card to Basic acceleration (if that is possible with yours)

After that, I am fresh out of ideas I'm afraid.

LAP 13:45 21 Nov 07

I have also run 'msconfig' selected 'Selective StartUp' and also hid 'all Microsoft Services' I the restarted computer and still got the same result. ie 'DIRECTX encountered an unrecoverable error'

phoenix198 13:47 21 Nov 07

Realise you had already updated drivers for graphics card, but it may be worthwhile you doing so again with COD4 uninstalled. Long shot, but ....

LAP 16:09 21 Nov 07

I have just finished doing what you suggested, unfortunately the same thing happens. ie I get 'DIRECTX encountered an unrecoverable error'.

I will keep searching for the answer. Thank you all so far.

Does anyone have anymore ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now